Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    traceyrco Posts: 62, Reputation: -5
    -

Apr 16, 2008, 05:40 PM
    Plumber is ripping us off for the damage he caused
    This is super, super frustrating. We're in Texas and there should be laws against a contractor causing damage on your property - to the property and then charging you to fix it. It is absolutely a nightmare!!

We had a gas leak at our outside riser. A plumber came and said he'd fix it. After he fixed it - he said there was another leak - I didn't see or smell it (and my nose is ultra sensitive - I caught this first leak right away - at the other riser - but let him replace it (my mistake for not testing it myself) - he then called for the city inspector and left. The city came along and asked the interior be checked on a tag they left. Upon returning, checking the interior, the plumber said that he thought there was an itty bitty leak in the house - but he didn't shut the house off from his exterior work - he tested the entire line. He couldn't find a leak in the interior after 2 hours (I should have checked the risers myself - because one did leak after the entire fiasco) so he came back the next day with a huge air compressor - used a 100 psi and guess what? Not only did he now find 18 leaks in the attic (every joint was blown) he blew the two risers he'd just replaced outside too. If all the cities recommend 10 - 15 psi to test - 100 psi is way too high for jointed house lines and yeah - you'll find the leak and a bunch of new ones you just caused from blowing every joint on the line.

Our gas bill amazingly didn't reflect any change in use from the previous years, or months before or after - we did not have 18 leaks in the attic prior to his use of 100 psi - the leak was probably at one of the risers he fixed - he's a lame duck. We were without gas for 3 or 4 days while he jerked around trying to fix his colossal mistake. Now they've sent 3 collection agencies after us for not paying to fix their mistake and the collection agencies also broke the fair collection practices. It’s a huge, huge mess - I can't believe the consumer laws in Texas don't protect us. From my research 100 psi should only be used on welded lines - or high pressure lines - not house hold lines for Pete sake. Bottom line, if the pressure he used blew the risers he'd fixed the two days before - it was enough pressure to blow 18 joints in the attic too.
    O_Troubles Posts: 313, Reputation: 20

Apr 16, 2008, 05:44 PM
    So is it far to say your question is : how do I hold him accountable so I don't have to pay for his mistakes?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 16, 2008, 06:11 PM
    You refuse to pay him, and let him sue you in court and use his lack or proper methods to prove he was at fault.

Or you pay him and then sue him for the money back in court.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 16, 2008, 06:17 PM
    I'm no lawyer but have you considered small claims court? Any place I've ever worked at warranted their work. I would complain like hell! The Better Business Bureau, your local TV station, etc. I would make that dudes life as harassed as I sense you are. I want you to know that there are good plumbers around, just look at our posters and the people that answer them. Good luck, Tom
    -

Apr 16, 2008, 06:21 PM
    O_troubles - you are right - what do I do when he sues? Can I make him a co-defendant when I sue the collection agencies? The state of TX already said - yes they broke the law. I think I should - and the TX Attn Gen. has my complaint on them still open and their lawyer/collection dude in Houston said they are definitely sueing me - even though I sent my letter within 30 days and they said their invoice was proof I owe - when I didn't sign a thing and had the city inspector out here while he was working. The city inspector said he'd show up in court for me. What do I do though when the suit comes? Counter sue? For what? Damages? Is there a monetary amount? He wants over $2 K for what he had to repair - I sue for that and the $3 K in fines the collection companies owe (should I sue). I had to even have another plumber come out a couple of months later and fix one of the risers he put in - it barely had any compound in the joint and I got photos. Thanks for everyone's answers!
    -

Apr 16, 2008, 06:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by O_Troubles
    so is it far to say your question is : how do i hold him accountable so i dont have to pay for his mistakes?
    Yes
    -

Apr 16, 2008, 06:33 PM
    OMG - just found on the county court records - now this is just one county in a huge metropolitan area - he's had 3 arrests for assault, bodily injury, and something else - he was really pissed when he was here too - trying to fix his mistakes
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 16, 2008, 06:45 PM
    First tell the collection agencies to bump off, write them and tell them just not to ever contact you again, if you are going to refuse to pay.
    IF they threaten to sue you, say great, you can't wait to get him to court.

Since you paid another plumber to do work, yes you can sue him for that and force him into court.
    -

Apr 16, 2008, 09:53 PM
    Yeah - sent the collection agencies the standard - prove it letter and all but this lawyer that is sueing have taken it. This lawyer must be as stupid as the plumber and his dad (company owner) the lawyer hand wrote on a form (with lines on the page - like 1st grade) they were sueing because the invoice proved we owed the money.

Question - what do I counter sue for? They are sueing me for over 2 grand which is what they charged to fix their mistake. It took him 2 days to do a 1 day job. We were without hot water for 3 - 4 days and he forgot to hook the dryer up - then I had to have a plumber come fix one of his risers. What should I counter sue for? Just opinions - we're not lawyers. And should I name the plumber & dad as co defendants on the suits with the collection agencies that broke the law - I think so - they hired them - the collection agencies were acting as their agents - so? Thanks - love the feed back
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 17, 2008, 06:13 AM
    Take pictures. Get notarized statements form the plumber you hired to repair the shoddy work done, get statements from everybody connected to this. Go into court with a lot of ammunition and blow that suckers case away. Good luck, Tom
    -

Apr 18, 2008, 08:14 AM
    This insane plumber is sueing us
    This is super, super frustrating. We're in Texas and there should be laws against a contractor causing damage on your property - to the property and then charging you to fix it. It is absolutely a nightmare! Since all of this, I have found several criminal arrests for this plumber (he works for his dad - the owner of the company) for assault, personal injury, etc. he was hauled in for not paying child support.

We had a gas leak at our outside riser. A plumber came and said he'd fix it. After he fixed it - he said there was another leak - I didn't see or smell it (and my nose is ultra sensitive - I caught this first leak right away - at the other riser - but let him replace it (my mistake for not testing it myself) - he then called for the city inspector and left. The city came along and asked the interior be checked on a tag they left. Upon returning, checking the interior, the plumber said that he thought there was an itty bitty leak in the house - but he didn't shut the house off from his exterior work - he tested the entire line. He couldn't find a leak in the interior after 2 hours (I should have checked the risers myself - because one did leak after the entire fiasco) so he came back the next day with a huge air compressor - used a 100 psi and guess what? Not only did he now find 18 leaks in the attic (every joint was blown) he blew the two risers he'd just replaced outside too. If all the cities recommend 10 - 15 psi to test - 100 psi is way too high for jointed house lines and yeah - you'll find the leak and a bunch of new ones you just caused from blowing every joint on the line.

Our gas bill amazingly didn't reflect any change in use from the previous years, or months before or after - we did not have 18 leaks in the attic prior to his use of 100 psi - the leak was probably at one of the risers he fixed - he's a lame duck. We were without gas for 3 or 4 days while he jerked around trying to fix his colossal mistake. Now they've sent 3 collection agencies after us for not paying to fix their mistake and the collection agencies also broke the fair collection practices. It’s a huge, huge mess - I can't believe the consumer laws in Texas don't protect us. From my research 100 psi should only be used on welded lines - or high pressure lines - not house hold lines for Pete sake. Bottom line, if the pressure he used blew the risers he'd fixed the two days before - it was enough pressure to blow 18 joints in the attic too.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 18, 2008, 09:12 AM
    You should have registered your dispute when you were first contacted by a collections agency. Its not to late.
    Texas Attorney General
    -

Sep 17, 2008, 09:04 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    Thanks and right o

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My cousin's boyfriend took my car when I was sleeping and caused damage to my car [ 13 Answers ]

I slept over my cousin's house and her boyfriend, who lives with her, took my keys out of the room I was sleeping in and took my car for a joy ride. When I woke up I found damage done to my right side of my car and my driver side mirror hanging off. I contacted the police who said that I couldn't...

Damage caused by an act of God [ 6 Answers ]

We just hade a hurrican and my patio umbrella flew over the fence and hit my neighbours car and cracked his windshield. Am I responsible for the $300 damage:confused:

Damage caused on car dlrship lot [ 9 Answers ]

I had an incident a while back on a car lot. Basically, damage was caused to a vehicle (for sale) on a car lot by my vehicle. The cause was an improperly maintained/marked off area of black ice. When the damage occurred, the staff said themselves that this was the third time this happened in the...

Ripping LP [ 5 Answers ]

I have been asked to rip an old vinyl album. The mechanics of it elude me at the moment. Has anyone here done this? What H/W and S/W would be the easiest to obtain and use?

View more questions Search