Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    12x6 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2008, 12:16 PM
    Ceiling fan
    Hi I just replaced my ceiling fan and I have this red wire left its for the switch on the wall I don't know where it splices to the black wire or white wire.. the fan works and lights work the only way I can get the lights on now is using the chain.I have the white wires spliced together and the two black and blue wired together so where do I put the red wire so I can use the wall switch to turn the lights on
    Thanks
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2008, 07:17 PM
    What fan did you take down and what is the new fan? Is the new fan a remote fan?

Can someone move this to Electrical/Lighting?

Apr 16, 2008, 08:28 PM
    Sorry I alreadt threw the fan away
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 16, 2008, 08:34 PM
    Did you old fan have light switches on two different walls?

Apr 16, 2008, 09:17 PM
    No just on one wall,does the red wire get splice to the two white wires or the two black and one blue wire

Apr 17, 2008, 08:15 AM
    Blue is normally the hot for the light while black is the hot for the fan, whites are the neutrals. Does the red have power at any time, don't splice until wee talk more. Ceilingfan will be back and may help further.

Apr 17, 2008, 08:31 AM
    I don't know if it has power now what I'm thinking it's the wire from the light switch on the wall if I splice it to the proper wire then the switch will work I'm not going to splice it now but my guess is it should go to the hot lead... let me know

Apr 17, 2008, 08:36 AM
    Do you have a tester? I would not splice the unknown red wire to anything yet. Put your test leads on the red and one white, any power. Try flipping switches to see if you can ever get power to the red wire. At this point we don't know if the red brings power into your box, sends power out to another fixture or switch or is just a piece of old abandon wire so do' splice it .
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2008, 09:56 AM
    The most common wiring would be:

Fan black to ceiling black, fan blue to ceiling red, white to white. Try that.

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More

Apr 17, 2008, 03:03 PM
    Ceiling, would this not mean the OP already has a double switch on the wall? He wasn't real clear where the red is coming from or going to so I'm getting a little confused.
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2008, 04:03 PM
    Or he could have a constant hot and a switched red. He said "the only way i can get the lights on now is using the chain."

Apr 17, 2008, 05:45 PM
    Wish he'd check his wires with a tester and get back to us.

Apr 17, 2008, 08:26 PM
    ballengerb1.. I will test the red wire this weekend,but I think ceiling fan might have it right splice the red wire to the blue wire and the switch will work, right now I have the blue wire from the fan spliced to the two black leads per instructions and that's why the pull chain works and not the switch,but if I do splice the red wire to the blue wire and the switch works does that mean the pull chain won't work is it possible to get the switch and chain get to work together
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2008, 09:09 PM
    Try what I suggested, it should work. If it doesn't we can get testers and try other things.

Apr 18, 2008, 09:15 PM
    Hi ceilingfan.. I did mean you on my previous post I just wrote your name wrong.. so your saying if I splice it the way you say the switch and pull chain will work
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2008, 10:29 PM
    That's my guess.

Apr 19, 2008, 07:32 AM
    Okay ceilingfan I will try it next weekend and let you know how I made out.
    Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling Paint is peeling while painting ceiling. [ 5 Answers ]

While painting the ceiling the wet paint is peeling the old paint in different areas of the ceiling... It has been raining a long period... Could that be it? This is only happening in the bathroom... It did not happen in the kitchen except under the newly installed light fixture... The living room...

Ceiling light on makes ceiling fan turn off [ 6 Answers ]

I installed 2 ceiling fans yesterday in two separate and am having the same problem with both. Before I removed the old fans I disconnected 1 wire at a time from the ceiling to see what stopped working. So I think one wire is the neutral and made both light and fan stop working, 1 wire was for...

Water mark with mold on ceiling of 1st floor ceiling [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I've just noticed a fairly large water mark with mold in the center located on the ceiling of a downstairs closet - I believe the closet sits below an upstairs shower. I'm a new home owner and would appreciate your advice on what sort of questions I need to ask a plumber to resolve...

Ceiling fan wiring, 2 blk, 2 what, 1 red, 1 grn from ceiling [ 3 Answers ]

I am attempting to install a hampden bay minuet 2 fan. The prexisting ceiling wires consist of two black, two white, 1 red, and my ground wire. A basic lite fixture was installed previously and controlled by a single wall switch. The wall switch has 1 red on the bottom and two black on the top...

Hanging ceiling fan from vaulted ceiling peak [ 2 Answers ]

Want to install Hampton Bay's Berlini model 729395 on a cathedral ceiling with a single ridge beam. Want to hang fan from the peak and there's not enough room for the canopy to cover the hanger bracket. Is there any extenders for this?

View more questions Search