Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2006, 06:48 AM
    Onions!!
    Ive just been cutting up onions to go into tonights dinner and even though I have a awfull cold the dam things still made me cry tee hee, Do onions make you cry or do you have a tried and tested method to stop this??
    I spent 3 years training to be a chef and to be honest with you we tried a heck of a lot of them out personally I think they are all just old wives tales but go ahead I want to hear them.

Laura
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2006, 06:58 AM
    HI,
    Ever tried this one?
    Fill a pot or pan with enough water to completely cover the onion(s).
    Dissolve 1 teaspoon of salt in the water.
    Then, take off the outer layer of the onion, and place it in the salt water mix.
    Let it stay there for 10 to 15 minutes.
    I have tried this, and sometimes it does work.
    Best of luck.
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2006, 07:00 AM
    You know what fred I've come to the conclusion that onions are just an evil vegetable out to get us :D Im also starting to think spending too much time on my own with our daughter is frazzling my brain tee hee
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Feb 14, 2006, 07:05 AM
    Everyone has the same problem, even me. I cry like a baby... depends on the variety though.

To resolve the problem I bought a Vee Slicer

http://www.jmldirect.com/product.php?cid=5&pid=64

Peel the onion (remove the outer skin), shove the onion on the handle with the prongs, insert one of the blades, thin slice, thick slice, chopper, etc... 10 seconds later sliced/diced onion. Quick, no more tears formula... works for me.
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2006, 07:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by colbtech
    Everyone has the same problem, even me. I cry like a baby....depends on the variety though.

To resolve the problem I bought a Vee Slicer

http://www.jmldirect.com/product.php?cid=5&pid=64

Peel the onion (remove the outer skin), shove the onion on the handle with the prongs, insert one of the blades, thin slice, thick slice, chopper, etc...10 seconds later sliced/diced onion. Quick, no more tears formula...works for me.

HEHEHEHEEHE they scare the wits outa me yet I'm confident enough to slice and dice like a pro and never slice my fingers, admittedly there's one in the cupboard and bens the only one that use's it, id put the onions in the magimix if I could be bothered with 5 ton of washing up after ;)
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Feb 14, 2006, 07:29 AM
    Laura,you silly girl.Dont go near the kitchen.Get Ben to cut them up.He he. :D

A cold? Steps back from monitor.Kleeeeennneeex!!

B.G. 9:00pm,Sky One. ;)
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Feb 14, 2006, 08:20 AM
    I do I do I do,

My grand mother kept a pack of Big Red gum in the kitchen on the micro wave, the penalty for touching it was death and dismemberment, growing up we all knew not to touch it, as I got older I learned that when cutting an onion she would chew the gum, and not tear up, I now do this, and it does work about 90% of the time, I am not sure if it works with all gum, but it does with Big Red. (O:
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2006, 11:16 AM
    Nez ill give you B.G at 9pm ;) it's a good thing I have two episodes of lost to catch up on
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2006, 11:17 AM
    Big red gum huh, well I can safely say I won't be trying that one its not a gum I've ever come across over here so sadly ill stick to crying
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Feb 15, 2006, 07:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by curlybenswife
    Big red gum huh, well i can safely say i wont be trying that one its not a gum ive ever come across over here so sadly ill stick to crying
    Big Red is a cinnamon gum, but my sister said gum will do, I never used anything else, because Nanny said that was what worked (O:
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Apr 2, 2006, 12:06 PM
    If it really bothers you, and you don't mind looking silly, put on a pair of goggles. Swimming goggles will work, and some pairs of safety goggles will too. You need to prevent the spray from the cut onion from getting into your eyes.
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

May 15, 2006, 12:41 AM
    Okay this is sick.. but it works for me.. Light a paper match and blow it out. When it cools off put it on your tongue and close your mouth... No tears..,. I don't know why it works, but my Nanny used to always do it and swore by it,. I tried it and it worked for me.. Here are some other tips I found...
    Chew on a cracker while chopping onions. Light a votive candle near your chopping board and the irritating fumes will be burned off.

1. Using a sharp knife, slice onion in half lengthwise, through the root. Cut a bit off the top of each half; pull away papery skin and tough outer layer, and discard. Place halves cut side down on cutting board.

2. Slice through onion horizontally, at even intervals, almost but not quite to the root end.

3. Slice down lengthwise, at even intervals, keeping root intact.

4. Holding root end, make perpendicular cuts at even intervals. The pieces will fall as you chop. Onions should always be cut into pieces of equal size so that they cook evenly.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

May 15, 2006, 02:47 PM
    I too have researched a number of solutions and so far I favour strictly breathing through my mouth for the duration of the task. Its pretty darned effective so long as I don't get squirted in the face!

But tell me, Mrs. Ben, if it works for you... okay? ;)
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 15, 2006, 03:04 PM
    Psst V_S, it's my wife that asked not me ;)
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

May 15, 2006, 10:11 PM
    I use a lot of onions in the pasta sauces my wife and daughter demand.

The only thing that helps me is the glorious food processor. Depending on whether I want it course or fine I might do a little cutting on the board, but most of the work is done by the machine.

I make most things from scratch and am busy enough that I don't care if its "cheating". Works like a dream and keeps my eyes dry.
    rd68 Posts: 122, Reputation: 10

May 17, 2006, 09:39 AM
    The thing that helps me is to eat a slice of bread or two,I don't know why but it works.It really does.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 18, 2006, 09:20 AM
    My favorite is to buy them at the store already cut up!!
    :D
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2006, 05:17 PM
    I just use a food processor... end of problem.
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

Jun 7, 2006, 06:37 PM
    I just don't use them
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 7, 2006, 06:38 PM
    You don't need them Demon, you have salsa!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search