Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rhouse30 Posts: 306, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2008, 05:55 PM
    CD rates
    When comparing CD rates, is it just enough (to get the most interest) to get compounded cd's or should I know how they are compounded?

Any tips will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2008, 05:56 PM
    Well, most of the time, CDs are compounded annually. If you find one that's compounded semi-annually or quarterly, then that'd be pretty sweet.

I suggest you find out as much detail as possible about your CD, and compare it to other banks' CD rates to maximize your interest benefit.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2008, 08:12 PM
    The annual yield (APY), I believe will show the best deal since it is calculated based on interest rate and compunding frequency. And you need to determine how long you can have the money tied up for--6 months. 1 yr. etc. FDIC insurance is important.
    You will have a week or so grace period when the term is up, to do something else with the money, or in most cases the bank will renew it for the same term at a new rate (higher or lower) and then penalize you if you take it out (once the grace period is up)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Rates of Change [ 7 Answers ]

Hi there, could you please help me with this confusing question: After (t) seconds, a projectile is at height (h) metres where h(t)=300+24t-3t^(2). Find the rate of change of height at t=2,t=3 and t=4 seconds (use a time interval of 0.01) seconds. Then describe what is happening to the...

Yields, exchange rates and interest rates [ 1 Answers ]

When interest rates falls, then bond prices rise and yields fall. However, when the exchange rate falls, investors demand less bonds, price of bond falls and yields rise. So what happens in an environment of falling interest rates and depreciating exchange rate- the 2 are opposing consequences-...

View more questions Search