Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amolu Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2008, 03:59 PM
    Ideas for powerful play
    I've been commissioned to write a play that shows how small actions can lead to a big change if enough people do them. This is a play for young people.

I'm looking for ideas, concepts, conventions, plots - anything really.

This play will tour schools.

Any help appreciated.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2008, 12:21 AM
    How about something about conservation, recycling and its impact on the environment? That would be one idea. Hopefully, others will come along to add their own.
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2008, 11:48 PM
    I do hope that you return! I was looking forward to discussing with you how you might develop your ideas!
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2008, 01:31 AM
    What about building a well in a small village? If it is for children it could have the underlying moral that many hands make light work, with everybody cooperating for a greater goal.

Apr 27, 2008, 05:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    I do hope that you return! I was looking forward to discussing with you how you might develop your ideas!
    Really sorry! I should have looked in before now. I've actually been organising the play. Looking for rehearsal venues etc. I hope you're still keen to talk. I will be more diligent from now on, promise.

A large organisation has written a best selling book about how individual small actions can make big difference. Now they want to extend this idea to younger people and have asked me to write the play. It's a great opportunity to make a big impact through theatre. The play will tour London, but I also work in Africa a lot so you can see how big this thing could be!

The actions the young people can take will vary and there are many of them. Eventually there'll be another book listing suggestions. The common theme is that they are quick and simple and if enough people do them, the world can change for the better. I have to find a way to crystallise this on stage.

I've toyed with a naturalistic story line combined with symbolism of some sort - Circus skills, physical theatre, choral speaking - you know, something that shows people working together with impressive results. Something that;ll really be memorable for a young audience.

However, the best place to start is the story. The devices can come after.

I have done some improvisation with my group. They came up with a scene of a young girl dead on a street, then going back in time 1 day, then 1 month, then 1 year. But they did fall back on a predictable story line. Although I like the idea of playing with time - I'm hoping for something original rather than another teen death story. There are other issues.

Have you any ideas about issues or themes? Or anything at all?

Please write back!

Ann-Marie.

Apr 27, 2008, 05:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by templelane
    What about building a well in a small village? If it is for children it could have the underlying moral that many hands make light work, with everybody cooperating for a greater goal.
    Because of the environment, there is a growing trend for low tech stage effects. You know, building amazing tableaux with recycled stuff. Maybe the story could be about building something... Thanks.
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2008, 02:42 AM
    I am wondering about what you thought of my possible idea of something about conservation, recycling and its impact on the environment as I have already suggested to you, please?

Apr 30, 2008, 09:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    I am wondering about what you thought of my possible idea of something about conservation, recycling and its impact on the environment as I have already suggested to you, please?
    My first thoughts are how to dramatise this idea. I would want to powerfully relate the global situation to individual's actions. The main problem is that the idea of each person doing their part for the environment is already a common concept. I would have to make this fresh and meaningful again. I would also have to give it impact for young people.

For each person, realising the environmental crisis we face has different triggers. For some it will be dealing with sudden extremes of weather, for others a disturbing image of Polar Bears drowning for lack of ice to land on.

For the play to work, I'd have to find a powerful trigger to focus the plot around.

Any ideas?
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2008, 08:57 PM
    “Remember - just one friend can
    Change their world and ours.”

This might possibly generate some ideas for you:

http://eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/Hom...heater+Arts%22

CROSS-CULTURAL COMMUNICATION AND DRAMATIC RITUAL.

May 20, 2008, 02:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by frangipanis
    “Remember - just one friend can
    change their world and ours.”

This might possibly generate some ideas for you:

http://eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/Hom...heater+Arts%22

CROSS-CULTURAL COMMUNICATION AND DRAMATIC RITUAL.
    Thank you very much. There is a lot on these sites to look at - especially appropriate are the articles about applied theatre and non-conformist approaches. I'm keen for the young people to create their own narratives rather than what they think we want to hear. I didn't know about ERIC before - really grateful to you.
    Ann-Marie

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When I tried to play a tmp files with window media player, it says"Windows Media Play [ 3 Answers ]

When I tried to play a tmp files with window media player, it says"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file." What can I do to play this file?

Is media more powerful than government? [ 15 Answers ]

What is more influential? Media or government?

Powerful Thieves in the Auto business. Who dares to take them on. [ 6 Answers ]

I was wondering how to go about my boyfriends car got repossesed, and he was told he had 21 days to get the money to the bank, so that he may get his car back. He paid the money in 16 days. The bank gave us the run around for about 2 weeks, and finally about 2 week later they released the title to...

Powerful letter of introduction for rental business [ 1 Answers ]

I'm opening a rental business that incorporates both long term and short term (vacation) rentals in a upcoming resort area. There are several of the same type of companies in the area. Having been in the property management business for 25+ years I've got the basics down on how to handle the...

What is a powerful amp [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking to buy an amp+subs for my ford explorer. Is 300W subs not loud at all??

View more questions Search