Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    avel Posts: 199, Reputation: 0

Feb 14, 2006, 01:15 AM
    Adding Hard Drive...
    :confused: I want to copy a hard drive files from other computer so I try to connect it in my PC (windows 2000) but I can't find it why... :confused:
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2006, 02:14 AM
    Chances are you haven't connected it properly. Did you set one drive as the master and the other as the slave? There's a jumper on the back of the hard drive for this.

Feb 14, 2006, 07:57 PM
    Is it OK cause the other HDisk is containing Win XP and I'm connecting it to Win 2000... How can I set it up... Through C-mos? I don't know how to go to C-mos in Win 2000 I already try Press Del while Booting...
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2006, 03:03 AM
    When your PC is booting up does it give you a list of the IDE drives detected? If so - check to see if both the hard drives are displayed. If they aren't - then as suggested, the hard drive is not connected properly in the case. You would have either not set the jumpers properly (as explained above) or maybe the cables simply aren't in properly. Check your motherboard instructions for more help on where the cables plug in etc.

If both hard drives are detected, then do you know what file system both file systems use? I'm not sure (can someone else help me out here) but I believe if one version of Windows uses FAT and the other uses NTFS you may have troubles. That said, I believe NTFS are the defaults for both Win XP & 2000 so they are probably fine.

Finally quit note. CMOS is not related to your operating system. Regardless of what operating system you put on your hard drive, the CMOS/BIOS setup will always be the same. Most PC's do use the delete key so just hold it down on the startup and don't let go.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Feb 15, 2006, 06:05 AM
    You're right lee,

As long as the disk isn't dynamic from the XP machine there should be no problems with NTFS or FAT on a 2000 system

May I also suggest that if you have a separate ribbon cable for your CD rom drive(s) that you use this for the temporary hard disk (disconnect the CD drives so to avoid any master/slave problems.

Feb 16, 2006, 06:52 PM
    Well thanks for your replies my problem now is solve...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Adding 2nd Hard Drive [ 4 Answers ]

HP Pavilion - on connecting 2nd HD into PC and starting up - Refuses to boot up. The sequence gets as far as flashing the light on the DVD but goes no further (normally flashes floppy after DVD then continues the boot up). Have set jumpers at CS as recommended - tried Master and Slave settings...

Adding hard drive [ 3 Answers ]

If I add hard drive will it increase my memory?

Used hard drive [ 4 Answers ]

I put a used hard drive in my computer,and tried to install windows 98 it keeps saying that the drive is dirty and it needs cleaning,How do I do that?

View more questions Search