Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmcgee Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2008, 11:17 AM
    Dog behavior
    My 11 month old lab was very sick when she was young. She seems healthy now and has tons of energy. Whenever you put a coat on or pick up a leash she goes beserk - jumping barking etc. She also will not release a ball or stick - you have to pry it from her mouth. Obviously we would like a change in behavior- any insight would be appreciated
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2008, 07:46 PM
    Obedience training. Find a good teacher/class in your area and go for it. For the jumping and barking, you have to be sure that you aren't rewarding the behavior. Which means that you don't put the leash on and go for the walk until she is sitting quietly. Which is why obedience helps... learn a command like "Sit", and you can use that to counter other behaviors. Dog sits, and then gets put on the leash. Dog sits, and then gets to go out the door. They can't both sit and jump at the same time, so they quickly learn which gets them the reward that they want.

Can't help with the ball.. my problem is getting my dog to take things, not release them!
    jmcgee Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2008, 07:17 AM
    Thanks - that sounds like simple sound advice
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Apr 16, 2008, 11:07 AM
    I agree with Froggy. Do not let her go on her walk until she is calm and submissive. In regards to the ball or stick, don't fight with her to take it out of her mouth. This is just another game to her. Put her in the sit/stay position, and don't look at her. Ignore her until she realizes what she is doing doesn't work anymore. When you see her drop whatever it is she had, say the word drop, let go, or whatever command you use, and THEN praise her. If she grabs it again before you can get it, just keep on repeating the same thing until she understands that she can't play unless she drops the toy.

Hope that helped you out a bit. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Odd behavior [ 4 Answers ]

Ok all of a sudden my dog is super protective over me. She is only 8 or 9 months but had never been so clingy or prtective. She usually gets along well with other animals and she loves out other dog and out cat but this weekend we had a puppy play date with my friends dogs like normal and she would...

Sociopathic behavior [ 1 Answers ]

Is sociopathic behavior an inherited trait or is it learned?

Behavior [ 2 Answers ]

Dear sir I want to know which of the followng is true and which is false about territorial behaviour in animals?please tell me why you say that and if it is possible give me an example too 1-it provides some protection from predators 2-increase intra-specific competition for food Thanks a lot

Behavior [ 3 Answers ]

Florida, Can anyone tell me how to go about getting a court order behavior order for my 17 yr daughter. She is currently not living at home and I need her to be here so we can access her for drug addiction and possible marchment act.

View more questions Search