Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shnaddy Posts: 20, Reputation: 0

Apr 15, 2008, 04:00 AM
    Fruit and veg shop
    Would owning a fruit n veg shop provide a good earning. I know it would depend on area etc, but its been something I've been thinking about recently.

Does anybody run or own a fruit shop?

Thanks for your time guys.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2008, 04:16 AM
    The potential for making a good profit is there for owning and operating a fruit and vegetable shop of some kind. Do you have a business plan of some kind in place?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 15, 2008, 04:21 AM
    I don't own never owned a shop of any kind but as far as fruit and veg shop goes, common sense would say not a good idea in this age of compromising economics.

A fruit and veg shop would work okay, and it would depend on the area, in the summer months only when supply and demand wouldn't be a problem. However, in the winter time you would have to import and couldn't really compete with the larger chains price wise and you would be at the mercy of crop reduction south of your border, taking into consideration the unpredictable weather we have been having which in some cases has destroyed crops of vegs and fruits we normally depend on.

On the other hand, if you wanted to have a hydroponic operation year round that would bear some investigating to see if it is cost wise only specializing in vegs such as tomatoes (which grow well hydroponically).

I hope I didn't 'burst your bubble' Shnaddy, but you asked and the above is in my opinion being a good shopper for the family and noticing how prices fluctuate even over a two week period lately. Some of our produce here in Ontario comes from South America and Florida and is pretty high priced and supposedly going higher soon. As you probably know, Ontario produces good quality vegs of all kinds over the summer months. I particularly like buying from the roadside stands here in rural Ontario in the summer, the only time of the year I can buy good quality field grown produce at a less then big store price.
    Chisha Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2010, 06:00 AM
    Hia'
    Apparently I have the same business idea too. I am very determined that I will be able to make a lot of money out of it. The trick is to ensure that you sell fresh stuff and that a part from fruits and veg, I will also stock some other types of farm products like eggs, milk, pork, chicken, peanut butter, honey etc.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2010, 12:06 PM
    Old and now archived thread to which the original poster has never returned to respond.

Sufficient enough answers have been given.

Thread is now CLOSED.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fruit classification [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to understand how works the classification of fruits in stone fruit, nut and all these other kinds of fruits. What are the criterions which make i.e. the litchi a nut an the walnut a stone fruit ? If somebody could help me to understand the hole system (maybe the are explaining texts...

Allergic to fruit [ 6 Answers ]

My children get severe diarreaha when they eat fruit they also get a painful, bloody, blistery rash on their bottoms and around their mouths. Everyone in my husbands family thinks that I am making it up and give them fruit behind my back.. what they don't see is that when I am with them they get...

Fruit flies [ 1 Answers ]

In my apt. How do do kill them pemanently. Got rid of them once some how , bought 3 bananas and they're back. Tried flying insect spray and now into hair spray to avoid my toxicity.

Picking fruit [ 1 Answers ]

How do I know when a watermelon is ready for piching?

View more questions Search