Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blackedout85 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2008, 07:47 PM
    A civil then a small claim summons was left at my house but the case does not exsist?
    Hello, About a month ago a civil court summons was left in my doorway for a credit card debt that never belonged to me. Then about two weeks ago the same law firm sent another small claims summons for the same debt.

I have been checking the court listed on the summons website list of civil and small claims cases every day since and there is nothing about this on there. I even called the civil courts clerk's office and they found nothing. The return date on the civil summons is 4/15. The return on the small claims is 4/2

Why would they pay to file these suits and pay a marshall to deliver them if there is no suit at the court house?

Any help or advise would be very helpful to me because I don't really know how to handle this.
    ArielR Posts: 20, Reputation: 4

Apr 14, 2008, 09:43 PM
    We had something similar where we had a garnishment on my mother's wages, but when we went to the court to get them stopped, they said the case did not exist. It took a bit of tracking down, but we discovered it was a case at a /different/ court. Up here, at least, the courts don't communicate in an easily-accessable way.

We had to ask the clerk to track down which court the case was registered at before we could do anything. That's the best thing I can suggest.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2008, 07:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by blackedout85
    Hello, About a month ago a civil court summons was left in my doorway for a credit card debt that never belonged to me. Then about two weeks ago the same law firm sent another small claims summons for the same debt.

I have been checking the court listed on the summons website list of civil and small claims cases every day since and there is nothing about this on there. I even called the civil courts clerk's office and they found nothing. The return date on the civil summons is 4/15. The return on the small claims is 4/2

Why would they pay to file these suits and pay a marshall to deliver them if there is no suit at the court house?

Any help or advise would be very helpful to me because I don't realy know how to handle this.

Posted twice - gets confusing.

Never ignore and summons and I never trust a website list. Go to Court, appear, ask what's going on. If you don't appear and this goes to Judgment you'll spend the next ten years trying to straighten it out.

If it is not your debt you have to appear with that defense. Have you contacted the law firm? Some are more debtor friendly than others.

I would think they would pay to file them and pay a Marshall because they think they are on the calendar.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does True love exsist at grade 8? [ 3 Answers ]

I believe it does. This might be a question, since I want to here others input on this. I have had friends that have liked a girl in grade 8, the girl like them back, and them date all the way to high school, college/university, and they are now planning their wedding. For some it may not exist, ...

Ex Left Property at My House.Can I Dispose of it? - Urgent [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, long story short... nasty divorce. Towards the end, I moved a bunch of his stuff into storage and offered him the key, had the locks changed because per the property settlement arrangement, he wasn't supposed to be in the house anyway. He tricked a locksmith into opening the house and...

Can a court summons be left on your door? [ 2 Answers ]

Can a court summons be left on your door? And what can I do after this happens?

Summons civil case management conference [ 2 Answers ]

I received a summons for uncollected debt and I want to know if I can just pay it off without going to court - can you help me?

Left Over House Bricks [ 1 Answers ]

We just bought a house and with it came a pile of left over grey bricks in the back yard. What can I do with them? Some are solid on all four sides and others have grooves on two sides. Any suggestions?

View more questions Search