Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Feb 13, 2006, 04:25 PM
    In dire need of you help here from all of my fellow members
    Is there a way to get a list of Child Physiatrist in New Jersey and if possible a listing of what they deal with, my daughter and I have been every where, most of them are quack, switching medications and messing around her diagnoses none really helping us, only making her feel worse. I want the best for my daughter; I just do not know how to find the right doctors.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 13, 2006, 04:29 PM
    A slightly different way of attacking this problem, but it may help.
    Have your tired looking for local support groups as they would normally know the best Docs for a given condition ?

Worth a thought.

Feb 13, 2006, 04:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    A slightly different way of attacking this problem, but it may help.
    Have your tired looking for local support groups as they would normally know the best Docs for a given condition ?

Worth a thought.

Yes, yes we have done that, I just can not find a REAL child or adolescent Physiatrist in New jersey, that really will help us, all seem to want to sit behind a desk and ignore what is happening to her, today I was told she had ADHD, she is not ADHD, he did not address her anxiety, depression, mood swings or self mutilation, how are these symptoms of ADHD, we did finally after 4 years find a theripist that she feels good with and listens to her and is truly concerned for her well being, She is a good kid, not a behavioral problem,
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2006, 04:43 PM
    Well, if only you lived in California.

Can I ask what happened to this therapist that you had found? Why didn't she work out?

How old is your daughter again?

Feb 13, 2006, 04:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJizzle
    Well, if only you lived in California.

Can I ask what happened to this therapist that you had found?? Why didnt she work out?

How old is your daughter again??
    Her therapist is fine we just found her about 2 months ago, It is the funny guy in the suit, that prescibes the drug we are having trouble with at the time. Every time we go to a new one they say something else is wrong with, they change her med, and make matters worse, now they are saying ADHD, I know this is not what is wrong, there is not a hyper bone in her whole body, I do not get it, don't there people go to school for this
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Feb 13, 2006, 06:02 PM
    Where in NJ? Send it to me by private message or email if you want.
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2006, 06:22 PM
    You say there is not a hyper bone in her body... so then is she just ADD? At any rate, ADHD can also refer to hyperactiveness of the mind... not just the body. It is common with people with ADD because a hyperactive mind can lead to a reduction in attentiveness.

Personally, I don't believe in medication for this type of thing. It is more a control of ones own mind. These "disorders" were not even around at one point... they are products of our society.

Feb 14, 2006, 07:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657
    Where in NJ? Send it to me by private message or email if you want.
    We are cental NJ near Six Flags Great Adventue.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2006, 09:47 AM
    As I was about to answer your question, I wondered if you had a psychiatric association in New Jersey, and it turns out you do! Here's their website:

http://www.psychnj.org/

I also found this psychiatrist locator for New Jersey:

http://www.locateadoc.com/directory.cfm/17/NJ

Both of these places don't seem to give a lot of info about the specialties of the psychiatrists, though...

If you'd like, I can call my adoptive dad (he is a psychiatrist, over 30 years). He would likely have some sort of private directory of psychiatrists in North America. I can ask him to look for you. I could ask my husband too... he's training as a psychiatrist and might know something.

Feb 14, 2006, 10:18 AM
    How did you find this?

Quote Originally Posted by orange
    As I was about to answer your question, I wondered if you had a psychiatric association in New Jersey, and it turns out you do! Here's their website:

http://www.psychnj.org/

I also found this psychiatrist locator for New Jersey:

http://www.locateadoc.com/directory.cfm/17/NJ

Both of these places don't seem to give a lot of info about the specialties of the psychiatrists, though...

If you'd like, I can call my adoptive dad (he is a psychiatrist, over 30 years). He would likely have some sort of private directory of psychiatrists in North America. I can ask him to look for you. I could ask my husband too... he's training as a psychiatrist and might know something.

OMG thank you so much, I am out of rate as normal for me, but I will come back as I spread it around a bit, see you soon
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2006, 10:23 AM
    [QUOTE=lilfyre]How did you find this?

Which, the psychiatric association? I don't know, it was the first thing I thought to look for, I guess because I come from a family of psychiatrists and they're oh so proud (LOL! ) of the associations and fellowships that they belong to. The other link, psychiatrist locator, I just found in Google by typing "psychiatrists in new jersey". That's it. Glad I could help. Let me know if you still want me to ask my dad or my husband though.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2006, 10:31 AM
    In my own opinion. Medication and drugs is the worst approach to the problem. Or what you think is a problem. I know it might not mean much to you but the effects of the drugs is worse then the actual problem, whatever it maybe. In today's, society many are looking for quick easy fixes to all problems and the drug companies are making a fortune on making people sicker. I do understand that some medical conditions need to be treated with medication or death could happen, but That is not the case with your daughter.

Joe
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2006, 10:35 AM
    Psychiatrists don't necessarily give medication, though. I realize a lot of them do, and people tend to think of them as drug pushers almost, but they are not all like that. My adoptive dad for example, he combines it with talk therapy and also refers people to support groups, puts them in rehab programs, etc. He asks if they want medication, usually after he's seen them a few times (never right away), gives them information about the drugs to read up on, and lets them decide whether they want it. He never forces the issue, unless he's dealing with someone who's dangerous to themselves or others.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes for a J1 non-enrolled fellow [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came in the USA last year just for 6 months (April-October 2005) as a non-enrolled fellow (University of Miami) and with a J1 visa. I had the salary from my Italian university and I received here just a little amount of money to increase my salary. I paid the isurance also so my question is:...

In Dire Straights with this hair! [ 1 Answers ]

:rolleyes: Recently , I was a bleach blonde. Though I made the fatel mistake of over-bleaching it, and now it's like straw. I know I have to replenish it, with deep conditioner/formulas and the like. Then I did something once again stupid, I dyed it red.:rolleyes: So now I have this...

View more questions Search