Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tonyscire Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2008, 04:11 PM
    Plumbing sweating copper pip to brass hose bibb
    I own a house with vinyl sidding. I have to change a hose bibb that's already sweated . How do I protect the sidding from being damaged?

Thanks tony s
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 14, 2008, 04:32 PM
    Hey Tony,
    When I'm faced with that problem I take a piece of tin ,(a flattened can will do) and cut a slot and hole just big enough to fit around the pipe. Hold the flattened can as close to your joint as possible and try not to point the flame at the wall. The can will stop the flame from hitting the vinyl. If the vinyl's touching the copper pipe the wrap a damp rag around the pipe behind the flattened shield. Of course all this hinges on the amount of space you have to work in. Good luck, Tom
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2008, 05:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyscire
    i own a house with vinyl sidding. i have to change a hose bibb thats already sweated . how do i protect the sidding from being damaged?

thanks tony s
    Are you sure this isn't a frost free hose bibb threaded into a drop ear 90 fastened to a stud inside of a stem wall?

Just to be sure, remove the stem and see if it is longer than 6 or 12 inches.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 14, 2008, 06:41 PM
    You should also consider whether you could remove the piece of siding. There is a little tool for unhooking the piece of siding above the one you want to remove. Then pull a few small nails and remove. Putting it back is even easier, just put the nails back and hit the top piece with the palm of your hand and it snaps back in place.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2008, 07:41 PM
    If you are removing a regular sillcock and not a frost proof and you have enough room to do what Tom said you could always cut the copper off just behind the sweat joint and then you could use one of the new slip on adapters that have an O-ring and a stainless steel clamping ring to hold it on, then use a threaded sillcock to go back with. This would eliminate any heating and the posibility of melting the siding.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 15, 2008, 03:31 AM
    Hey all:

I have one more idea for you!

Could always cut 6"x6" hole on the inside wall.. cut out the old outside faucet, and replace using new copper, coupling, elbow and new outside faucet (presolder everything but the coupling). Then solder the coupling inside the wall (carefully) and also no worries of burning the siding.

Then just "snap" a spring loaded access panel in place (sold at home supply store everywhere) for future access to outside faucet if ever need it again... ;) .

Hey! Just another way to do it... ;) Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Alternative to sweating copper [ 10 Answers ]

Howdy, I was at the local big box store and saw something that called it self an alternative to sweating copper. It was a liquid called Just For Copper. Being a geek and interested in things that can make my home improvement life easier, I thought I would give it a try. Well, I am not...

Connecting copper to brass [ 1 Answers ]

I'm remodelling my bathroom and need to connect 1/2" copper to 1" brass pipe, all the brass connections are threaded if I cut a section away for a compression fitting there is not enough 'play' to slide the pipe into the fitting any suggestions.. thanks Andy

Sweating copper to copper valve connections [ 1 Answers ]

I'm replacing my shower with a Moen system that has a Moentrol three function transfer valve Model 3330. The inlet and outlets are copper to copper. Other than removing the cartridges prior to sweating is their any particular trick to heating those connections on the valve? Thanks very much for...

Sweating Copper Valves [ 2 Answers ]

So I assume "sweating" simply means soldering? Isn't there something inside a sweat type valve that can't handle the heat of my torch like plastic or something that actually makes the seal inside the valve? I'd love to hear any and all advice. Thanks in advance.

Sweating copper pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I understand that you flux the outside and inside of copper pipe/elbow fitting What about copper pipe using a male brass fitting? Do you flux the INSIDE of the copper pipe and the brass male fitting? Before attempting to heat/solder. I need to replace a water pressure relief valve and...

View more questions Search