Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    denny_32 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2006, 02:30 PM
    Setup Server 2003 to share internet connection
    I just recently installed Windows Server 2003 and I'm trying to get another computer to connect to the internet through the server. The server is hooked up to a router currently and I have installed the 2nd NIC to hook up the other computer.

What steps do I need to go through to start getting this working. I want to be able to monitor the traffic on the server and see what the other computer is doing on the internet. Is there something special I have to do with the 2nd NIC? Do I need to configure my server to be a DHCP server?

I don't know if this is any help or not, but the "network cable unplugged" icon is in the task tray. That is for the 2nd NIC. I have a cable hooked to it running to my other computer, but on both I get "network cable unplugged". I know the cable is good because I tested it out with a switch and everything worked fine.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 14, 2006, 07:56 AM
    Why not just use the router as your DHCP server and hook it straight into the router?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 14, 2006, 08:39 AM
    Win2k3 server isn't really designed to do ICS.
    It can be done Here's an over view on how to achieve that end.

Now the simplest, and most rewarding, thing to do would be to build yourself a small domain using your 2k3 as DHCP and DNS servers and go from there.
    Use your router as the main network backbone, turn off the DHCP functionality and just use it for the net connection.
    With the 2k3 doing the DHCP/DNS you will have visibility of the other computers. You still wouldn't be able to see exactly what they are doing online, as this would require third party monitoring software. As they are using the 2k3 for DHCP/DNS this would be very easy to set up.

Hope this makes some sense as I'm tinking faster than I can type ;)

Have fun.
    denny_32 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2006, 10:12 AM
    I have installed Microsoft's ISA software. The big thing that I'm running into is that whenever I have one computer hooked to the server, I can't get either NIC (one on each computer) to recognize the connection. I have 2 NICs in the server, and I know both work (I am able to connect to the internet with both). I was wondering if there is something special I need to configure for the 2nd NIC to be able to connect to the server.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 14, 2006, 10:40 AM
    Please reread my post as ISA works best when used in a domain like situation.
    I have used it myself on my domain and it doesn't like ICS at all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I share Internet Connection in Network [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I have once Pc and one Laptop.Both are connected through ethernet card and are running winxp.I have networked them both .Files are shared but Internet connection can't be shared. Please help me about this. ANd Thanks

Windows Server 2003 Share Access [ 9 Answers ]

I am in the process of upgrading a peer to peer windows xp network environment to a windows server 2003 domain. My clients have windows xp pro with a third party program installed for point of sale and accounts receivable management. The program requires access to a network share folder housing the...

Setting up Windows Server 2003 [ 6 Answers ]

Okay I have a few questions. First is my Cable ISP gives me a Dynamic IP Address. But I would like to set up a home net work with Windows 2003 server. I would like to physically set it up this way. Modem to Router with DHCP turned off on the router, then router to server with DHCP, then...

Linux. 2003 Server & XP [ 2 Answers ]

Hey guys/gals. I have a question the issue I'm having is this. I want to have 3 OS's on 2 hard drives I currently have: XP Pro on my 80Gig - Master 2K3 Server & Linux on my 40Gig - Slave I want to know how I can setup a boot system that will let me chose which OS I desire, I have tried to...

How can I setup a web server ? [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone please give me directions how to built my personal webserver in WinXP pro? :confused:

View more questions Search