Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bailzs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2008, 01:53 PM
    1 tenant breaking lease
    There is 4 of us in a 2 bedroom house, all four of us have signed the lease agreement when we first moved in and all decided to split it evenly.

One of the tenants wants to move out as she claims she is "not happy."

We have all signed the lease, can she just get up and move out? Does she have to pay us or the landlord out? We cannot afford to stay in the apartment if she moves, we will then need to pull the whole lease if she moves out, we know there is penalties.

But can she move out without paying her share to the landlord or us?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2008, 02:06 PM
    She can do what ever she wants.

Are there ways to collect what she will owe if she does? Yes.

You may end up in small claims court if you are determined to collect what she owes you should you have to pay her way if she goes.

If you all break the lease, then you all could be liable to the landlord.

One hint, the landlord will come after the one of you who will be the easiest to collect the money from, like whoever may have written checks on their personal account, or the one who has the best job.

You should try your best to work this out and keep here there, otherwise, it could be a huge mess for all involved.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to enforce lease term/collect due rent when tenant breaks lease [ 8 Answers ]

My tenant who signed a 12-month lease in November just told me she is moving out in less than a week. She took it upon herself to prorate this month's rent. I would like to enforce the lease agreement and collect the rent for the remaining months of the term, but I need to know how to go about...

As a Landlord, reporting tenant breaking lease to credit bureau [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new to this site and was hoping to gain some insight and knowledge. My husband and I are just beginning our journey of obtaining rental properties. We currently have 5 units and recently had signed a 12-month lease with a potential tenant. She was just about to move in and pay her lease...

Breaking a year lease by tenant and not returning security deposit by landlord [ 23 Answers ]

I live in Florida and I had to breake my 1 year lease after 8 months and gave a 1 month notice to my landlord. I found another tenant to rent the property after my moving out and the landlord promised me to return the security deposit. After I found myself the new tenant for the landlord and...

Breaking a lease prior to occupancy.lease already signed [ 13 Answers ]

Help. My question is this... i signed a lease to rent a single family home... i gave a 200.00 deposit to hold it/toward security. I am unable to move into the home because i have to go out of state for a very ill family member (mother). ive tried to contact "LANDLORD" several times when i heard of...

Tenant Breaking Lease, Can I keep Security? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a tenant who has signed a year lease but is now breaking after 7 months because she is moving out of state. Can I legally keep her security deposit?

View more questions Search