Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chloedancer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2008, 01:44 PM
    American married to German and living in Germany---FILE JOINTLY?
    I am American, my husband German. For 2007 we lived in Germany and still live here. I had income from January-February from the U.S. and from March-December from Germany. My husband previously worked in the U.S. but not in 2007. For 2006 we filed jointly. We have joint bank (savings/checkings) in U.S.

My question: Can we file jointly for 2007? Or is my husband (who is German) not allowed to file since he did not earn income in the U.S. for 2007? Thus, do I need to file alone?

2nd question: Do we qualify for this Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (our salaries are not so high here in Germany!)

Thanks!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 14, 2008, 07:18 PM
    Yes, you can file a joint return or a separate return. It does not matter if your husband did not have any U.S. income.

You must meet at least one of the two tests to qualify for Foreign Earned Income exclusion:
    Physical Presence Test. You were present in foreign country for full 330 days in any period of 12 months in a row. (That is these 12 months can include two tax years.)
    Bona Fide Residence Test. Since you are citizen of the foreign country you meet this test, unless you were in the foreign country for definite temporary purpose.

If you are not able to use income exclusion, you can always file form 1116 to get foreign tax credit.
    Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file Married jointly or married separated [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know, that can I file jointly with my wife or married but separated. She is a Canadian citizen and she does not have a U.S. (SSN). She visits me Every 2 months and if I round up all her visits she has stayed with me More than 6 months, so can I claim her by applying for ITIN...

Can I file married/jointly? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been on H1B status since October 1 2007. I was on F1 OPT status from October 16 2006 to September 30 2007 and on F1 student status for 6 years before that. I got married in November 2007 and my wife came to US on H4 status on December 1 2007. My wife has previously visited US for...

Married filing jointly - Living in NJ, one person working in NY [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a qn regarding taxes filing. Me and my spouse are living in NJ. I worked in NJ and lived in NJ My husband worked in NY and lived in NJ. We both filed federal jointly.

Former H-1, Current F-1 married to H-1, file jointly? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been in the US on F-1 visa between Aug. 2001 - June 2003, and then on H-1B between June 2003 - August 2006 and then again on F-1 since August 2006. I filed as a resident for those three years. I got married to an H1-B holder in July 2006. We filed jointly for the 2006 tax year. ...

Married file eturns jointly [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am On L1 visa during 2007 have SSN. My Spouse is in india and do not plan to join me but she has SSN which she has got during her last visit. Will we be able to file returns jointly. She is working in india do we need to show her income when filling returns. Thanks Ramesh

View more questions Search