Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Feb 13, 2006, 01:56 PM
    Microsoft Anti-spyware beta
    According to the Washington Post,Microsoft's Anti-spyware software (beta),reckons that Norton Anti-virus is a password stealer,plus other things:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/secur...eleting_1.html

Microsoft are apparently,albeit slowly,(unannounced) looking for a "work around",without having to edit the registry yourself (dangerous if you don't know what your doing).Personally,my views on Norton are well known,but if Microsoft "dont like it",it's good enough for me,even though I am also one of Redmond's critics. :D
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 13, 2006, 02:09 PM
    Hmmm could this be more sloopy coding from The Beast?

After all this is the same Anti-spyware app that downgraded Gator form Remove to ignore ;)

Admittedly Norton + XP = A world of hurt.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Feb 13, 2006, 02:12 PM
    Just another reason why you can't rely exclusively on a single product to protect your system.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2006, 02:17 AM
    Especially if it's a Microsoft one ;)
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2006, 09:47 AM
    Hi,
    I agree with the "Microsoft one....".
    As a general rule, trying out a Beta version of anything from Microsoft can produce unwanted results!
    "Beta" means "not bug free".
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 14, 2006, 10:59 AM
    In that case Fred the only OS they have ever made is Windows Beta ;)

By the way, They're not Bugs they're Undocumented features
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Feb 15, 2006, 07:46 AM
    Have you guys seen the new Windows Defender?
    The replacement to MS Anti-Spyware.

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail...r/1105022593/1

Feb 15, 2006, 08:42 AM
    I came... I saw... I left.
    All the good work put in by the guys/gals at Giant,could be undermined by meddling.The full "seperate" version of Windows Defender :D is due out December.It is being automatically incorporated into Windows Vista,now due out October,2006.
    You can still use Microsoft anti-spyware (beta1),till 31st July,2006.Then it will do zip.But what do you expect for free. (a joke guys).
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 15, 2006, 09:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    In that case Fred the only OS they have ever made is Windows Beta ;)

By the way, They're not Bugs they're Undocumented features
    I remember reading about a Silicon Valley Programmer who had a vanity license plate for his Volkswagen Beetle that read:

FEATURE

:D
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 15, 2006, 09:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    I agree with the "Microsoft one....".
    As a general rule, trying out a Beta version of anything from Microsoft can produce unwanted results!
    "Beta" means "not bug free".
    No Beta does NOT mean bug free, it means still in test mode. Even production software still has bugs in it.

I've been using the MS product for a long time now with absolutely no problems.
    SHAVED Posts: 275, Reputation: 41

Feb 15, 2006, 10:00 AM
    Hi Everybody,
    A small note. Windows Defender requires XP SP2

Feb 15, 2006, 10:20 AM
    Scott,I'm going to test Windows Defender (beta2),on my "reserve" PC,having "tested" MS Anti-Spyware (beta1).Difficult to say,with beta products,as they are still in "test mode",what the true potential is.I know the risks of course,but here's hopeing. :confused:

Kisses old hard drive goodbye.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the best anti-keylogger program? [ 11 Answers ]

I find it despicable that keylogging programs have been invented to spy on your spouse, children, gilrfriend, boyfriend, employees, friends and enemies. Why haven't these programs been outlawed? Just because national spy agencies are using them doesn't mean that everyone can have a licence to...

PurityScan... Spyware or nor Spyware? [ 5 Answers ]

On my computer this screen popped up and it said it was ready to install Purityscan wich I had no intention of installing. Sure it might be a good program, then again it might not be for the simple fact is that somehow it or something put a reg key on my computer. Normally I would know what it's...

Autoruns - spyware question, Delete spyware with "Autoruns", back again [ 3 Answers ]

I am using "autoruns", hoping to get rid of many spyware programs. I am attempting to manually remove some of the spyware (while not connected to internet) startup files along with corresponding registry file using "autoruns" . Problem is when I restart "autoruns" the spyware files have returned. ...

SpyBot S&D Beta - Log files found [ 1 Answers ]

Hey, I recently read the forum regarding DSO Exploit and followed the referral to download SpyBot Beta. After Updating to 1.4Beta I rescanned and found new Log files that hadn't been found in the original 1.3. The Log files are: Activities: c:\windows\COM+.log c:\windows\imsins.log...

View more questions Search