Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JCISLO Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2008, 12:22 PM
    Shorted 1/2 acre on residential real estate contract, is it now my loss?
    I bought a home, barn, on horse property (5.19 acres) as listed and signed off on a contract. After I moved in I find out I had 4.75 acres accidentally to my surprise. A survey was provided but no one asked or checked to see if it was 5.19 acres and it did not stipulate 5.19 acres on it--just 400x 100, etc. etc. showing boundaries, the usual. The survey is correct--exact with courthouse. However, my attorney did not catch it and could not do anything about it after the fact. The sellers had no response--and said you had a survey. Am I stuck eating the loss after the fact? Is this a live and learn deal?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 14, 2008, 12:44 PM
    This is almost identical to what happened to me back in 1986. My wife and I bought 3.7 acres (we were told), did the survey, and bought the property in good faith. Then we found out it was only 3.0 acres. We sued the seller and listing agent, but lost, because like you we had a survey, although it did not list the acreage, just meets and bounds. The judge ruled that the survey controls the property being bought, not the MLS write up or other advertising. Maybe you would have better luck if your contract actually states the acreage that you bought. I thought we should get something for the real estate agent's negligence - the exact acreage of the lot was on file at the county clerk's office for tax purposes, so either our agent or the listing agent should have caught the seller's fib. Lesson learned - do your own homework.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2008, 01:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JCISLO
    I bought a home, barn, on horse property (5.19 acres) as listed and signed off on a contract. After I moved in I find out I had 4.75 acres accidentally to my surprise. A survey was provided but no one asked or checked to see if it was 5.19 acres and it did not stipulate 5.19 acres on it--just 400x 100, etc. etc. showing boundaries, the usual. The survey is correct--exact with courthouse. However, my attorney did not catch it and could not do anything about it after the fact. The sellers had no response--and said you had a survey. Am I stuck eating the loss after the fact? Is this a live and learn deal?

This comes back on your Attorney - "not catching it" is malpractice. Of course, the quesiton will be your monetary loss. How much did you pay for the LAND, how much per acre, what does the "lost" property work out to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Non Residential Real Estate Taxes in New York City [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently a resident of New York City. I am thinking of moving outside of New York and renting my apartment. What are the tax implications of owning a property in NYC, but living outside the state. My understanding is that the laws changed in recent years and there is an extra tax for...

Upon death of a seller in a real estate contract, how to get a buyer out of contract [ 23 Answers ]

In the state of Missouri, a seller in the middle of a sales contract died. The closing time is not yet lapsed and all the contingencies on the buyer side is fulfilled. There is will in place and an executor named for the estate already. The son (named executor) can not legally sign for the deceased...

Problems with Executor of Estate not signing sales contract for real estate [ 4 Answers ]

My sister and I are the beneficiaries of our mothers will. She died when I was 17 and left my sister and I half of her estate, and named her doctor as the executor. I am now 22 and my sister is 20 (21 next month). We all agreed (verbally) to sell the family house to our father for $125k. He...

NC Residential rental real estate. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a tenant here in NC who has been under a verbal rental agreement with me (& my wife) since July 2006. We allowed her to rent well under market in order to get back on her feet. Over time she would get the utilities in her name and would be able to pay closer to a fair market rent. It has...

View more questions Search