Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Da Bigchamp Posts: 360, Reputation: 18

Apr 14, 2008, 12:15 PM
    GoDaddy.com Code
    I bought a domain from GoDaddy.com, after a while I realized they wanted you to pick a template and design. I know it allows you to put some html code into it but I want to know how to build my site with my own code and not have to use their templates.
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Apr 14, 2008, 02:03 PM
    Static HTML/CSS/JavaScript is pretty easy to learn and there's certainly a ton of books and on-line resources on the subject. O'Reilly has some of the best reference books around In my opinion. Here's my personal favorite:
    O'Reilly Media | Dynamic HTML: The Definitive Reference
    (That's a reference book though, it won't really tell you how to setup a web site)

This is a high level perspective of what you'll need:
    You'll need an editor. I would avoid wysiwyg editors like Front Page if you want to learn the guts of coding web pages. I don't use it a lot but MS Web Developer Express is pretty decent, it will setup a local web server for you and it does some code completion. It's also great for debugging JavaScript issues.

Depending on your hosting service (GoDaddy) you may need an FTP client to transfer the pages from your computer to the server. WebDev express may be able to help you with this, I'm not sure. Otherwise there's free FTP clients out there that you can download.

Dig around online and find a book or web tutorial that you're comfortable with, you can develop the pages on your local PC and then when you're happy with them you can can upload the pages and images to your host.

Once you get over the initial learning curve it's pretty straight forward.

Apr 14, 2008, 02:06 PM
    I mean I know the languages, but how do I build the page myself, there's no place on godaddy.com about doing this, and their customer service people are idiots.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Apr 14, 2008, 02:23 PM
    Did you buy a hosting account too? You have to have a web server to put your page on; either your own, theirs, or Bob's All-Night-Hosting down the street. If you have a hosting account, they have a Getting Started Guide that explains uploading content.

Apr 14, 2008, 02:25 PM
    So that's how they get your money. Thanks.
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Apr 14, 2008, 02:35 PM
    Sorry for the mis-understanding...

I have a client that uses GoDaddy and I use my own FTP client to upload the work I do for them. GoDaddy does have a built in Web-FTP client on their web site.
    To get to it:
    Under the Hosting & Servers menu item select My Hosting Account.
    Click Manage Account. Their control pannel will open in a new browser window.
    Click Content
    Click FTP Client.

Apr 14, 2008, 02:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jstrike
    Sorry for the mis-understanding...

I have a client that uses GoDaddy and I use my own FTP client to upload the work I do for them. GoDaddy does have a built in Web-FTP client on their web site.
    To get to it:
    Under the Hosting & Servers menu item select My Hosting Account.
    Click Manage Account. Their control pannel will open in a new browser window.
    Click Content
    Click FTP Client.
    Except I have to purchase a hosting account in the first place, no wonder the domains are so cheap.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Error Code F2 [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Elite wahser and it is coming up with an error code F2 not draining proberly seems to be full of soap scum. Any body out there can help please let me know

WHat is The Code. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there! I have a project on how to create an calculator.. Can you please give me the code of it.. using visual basic.. Thank you and more power! A complete code please.. :(

Code 19 [ 1 Answers ]

Have done everything everybody tells me to do! NOTHING WORKS! Have an LG CED8080b cd rom writer. Computer does not show it any more. Worked fine until a few days ago, Have tried uninstalling/disabling, reinstalling, updating driver, updating firmware, booting from floppy with firmware, system...

Need help in VB Code [ 1 Answers ]

Good day, Iam traying to get result of my record as below If next record is biger than previous show "1" If next record is same previous show "1" If next record is smallest show "0" if next record is same previous show "0" Example

View more questions Search