Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hayzakk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2006, 01:02 PM
    Rental sec and bill lost!
    Was living with a girl and she moved out before the lease was up and I could not afford to keep the rental I put up the security and lost it the every thing was in my name and her name was on the lease can I take her to court for half of the bills and sec from her being that I lost it
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Feb 13, 2006, 01:18 PM
    Yes, since her name was also on the lease you can sue her for half of everything that you had to pay. Good luck!
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2006, 01:51 PM
    Did you mitigate your loss?

You have a duty to mitigate your loss within a reasonable amount of time.

And in English,

You had to try to find a new roommate. You can sue her for a month or 2, but if you can't prove you tried to find a new roommate, then you will be responsible for the rest of the costs.

That is, if she even knows the law.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Feb 13, 2006, 02:10 PM
    Captain Forest, is it the law in Canada that there is a duty to mitigate? I'm not aware of any such requirements in the US. The landlord has a duty to mitigate loss but there is no such duty on a tenant whose co-tenant has taken off.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2006, 03:27 PM
    Yeah.

In terms of contract law, when one part breaks the contract, the other party must try to mitigate their loss.

So in this example, let's say it took HAYZAKK 3 months to find a new roommate, then his ex girlfriend would owe him 3 months rent (her share of 3 months rent).
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 13, 2006, 06:45 PM
    Yes in most small claims court and most US courts, if one part to a joint lease moves out, the person who is left is expected to try and find another room mate ( unless the lease does not allow him to do that)
    So if there was 6 months on the lease and the one person moves out, if the other person did not do anything to find another roommate normally they will only allow them to look for 1 or 2 months of damage.

Also they will want proof of why the deposit was lost, if it was moving out only, but if it was for leaving the apartment dirty, for leaving boxes in the apartment, for not cleaning the oven, they most likely will not give them any money for loss deposit since he did not try to get the deposit back.

So he can look at one or two months rent and 1/2 of deposit, if it was lost merely because he also moved out, But only if he tried to replace the room mate*** exception to this could be if this was a one bedroom, and the other party was "living together" in that case it may not have been possible to find a room mate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bill cosby [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! I would like to get in touch with Mr. (Dr. ) Bill Cosby, but have not been successful in searching for his email or snailmail address. Please don't refer me to websites that ask for a fee to give you a celebrity's address. I can't afford it (I live in the Philippines where a dollar is...

Who pays the bill [ 13 Answers ]

OK new subject. Lets say you are meeting your girlfriend at the bar to visit friends. She shows up about an hour earlier than you do. She has a few drinks before you get there. You show up, order a drink and your girlfriend tells the bar tender to put it on the tab she started because we are...

Tax bill [ 5 Answers ]

My girlfriend has an unpaid tax bill of $10,000 and the IRS has just ordered her to pay $200 per month until the debt is paid . If she get's a debt consolidation loan and pays the entire amount off , in an attempt to have lower monthly payments , under any circumstances will the IRS be willing to...

Cutting down on gas bill [ 6 Answers ]

I just got my gas bill for last month and it was $500.00, much more than the $300.00 I would accept. I live alone in a 4,300 sq ' house plus 1400 sq ' basement that I work out of. Will it help to seal off vents at the furnace to a few of my bedrooms? I have 5 bedrooms but only sleep in one and my...

Doctor's Bill [ 3 Answers ]

Last spring, I had a toothache and went to a dentist for evaluation. The finding was that a wisdom tooth was impacting a back molar and the wisdom tooth needed to be pulled while the molar needed to have a root canal and capped. The dentist forwarded me on to an oral surgeon who was outside of...

View more questions Search