Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nycadv Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2008, 10:09 AM
    My wife and I live and work in different states (NY and CA), can we file jointly?
    I live and work in NYC and my wife lives in CA, can we file (MFJ) joint tax return? Or do we have to file married filing separately?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 14, 2008, 10:44 AM
    For federal purposes you can file jontly, no problem. As for each state - NY gives you the option of MFJ or Maried Filing Separately since you are a resident and your wife is a non-resident. For CA your wife must file as MFS assuming that you are a non-resident for the entire year and you had no CA income sources.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file as Married filing Jointly or Separately, if my wife has not entered US. [ 10 Answers ]

Hi David, I thought I'd post in this topic because I have a case similar to that of Balajinaik. However the website doesn't let me continue in his post, so I have to start a new Thread. I have been on an H1B visa through 2006 and will be filing as a resident alien. I got married in India in...

Live in NY work in NJ - should I file NJ Non Resident jointly? [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to start by saying that I did go through the existing question before posting this and I could not find a similar situation. Here is my situation: Me and my wife live in NY. I work in NJ and she works in NY. We are filing are our NY state tax returns jointly. I understand that I...

Wife in India - Can I file jointly? [ 2 Answers ]

I got married in Dec 2007 and my wife is still in India. I was in US for most of last year ( except for vacation in India). Can I claim my wife as dependent ( for 2007 taxes)? Can I file married-joint? Thanks

Wife (H4) was not in the US 2007, can we file jointly? [ 4 Answers ]

I was on H1B visa in 2007, previously was on F1 visa from 2002-2006. My wife and I got married in Dec 2007 in China. She came to the US on H4 visa in Jan 2008. She was not physically in the US in 2007. Can we file jointly for 2007? Thanks for you help! -Jun

Fed employee, must I file in both states where I live and where I work [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. Was told by former CPA and filed this way through him for years. He states that because I was a fed civilian employee, I did not have to file NY state taxes and could get away with only filing NJ state taxes since that is where I live. My gut tells me he is wrong... but he comes highly...

View more questions Search