Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miss moran Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2008, 06:00 AM
    What are my rights?
    I've rented for nearly 3 and a half years. For 3 years I've complained about the DAMP in bedroom. Work was done on the out side walls but to No Avail. Clothes,shoe's,bedding got damp and mouldy so I had to throw them away.Many time's this has happened.3years later he sent a professional in 85% damp was found in my flat. I have very bad ASTHMA now that I need tablet's at Night and puffers for the day.He's provided a de-humid now and told me he won't put the rent up as long as I pay to run it 7 day's aweek. He asked if I was going on holiday so he could send someone in to re plaster bedroom. I told him I couldn't and my health is not good.I now have been informed he is going to give me 2 months to get out but I can go back when it's done but the rent will go up considerably but he hasn't found me anywhere to move to. I was on a 6 month contract at the start but have been on a rolling month to month contract for nearly 3 years now.Can he throw me out like that. What are my rights. I've been an excellent tenant. ALways paid on time,no trouble at all. I'm worn out will my health and all of this aggro. PLEASE HELP. Many thanks.. x
    MaggieMouse Posts: 226, Reputation: 8

Apr 16, 2008, 05:03 PM
    You are on a month-to-month contract so he has the right to terminate as long as he gives you a month notice. Likewise, you have the right not to live there anytime.

It is understandable that he wanted some time to fix up the apartment and the cost of that will be the increasing rent.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 16, 2008, 05:40 PM
    First your apartment has a issue, if this is so bad why have you stayed and why would you want to stay in a damp bad apartment.

And yes, they can make you move with normally a 30 day notice, but most certainly with a 60 day notice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

As an aunt do I rights to sue DCFS for vistation rights to see my niece? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi My name is Rosalyn. I have a 12 year old niece that I just adore. Unfortunately she is in foster care with Illinois's DCFS going on 6 years. My sister, my nieces mom is mentally Ill. Her father was in jail for 10 years (my niece was 2 when he was sentence). Now that he is out jail and a witness...

Tenet rights vs housemates rights for removal of housemate [ 3 Answers ]

Good day everyone. My question is this: Can I have my housemate evicted from my apartment if she has not paid her part of the rent for several months? She is on the lease as a occupant only. I know I can have her removed from the lease by submitting it in writing to the landlord. I have receipts as...

Legal Rights, Moral rights, and rights in general [ 5 Answers ]

Something popped up when I was answering a question the other day. My opinion is that there are laws(legal rights etc) and RIGHTS (moral rights) I though that itd be interesting to discuss. What are your opinions/experiences? Do you believe that the law has the right to determine our rights?

Guaranteed rights, not amendment or bill of rights [ 3 Answers ]

What are the rights guaranteed in the Constitution (not including the Bill of Rights or other amendments)? The constitution protects the right of domestic peace. We have the right to be represented. If we are going to pay taxes then we are going to be represented. I am really confused by...

Custody rights versus Paternity rights [ 3 Answers ]

I will try to get this down in the most unconfusing way possible. My husband and his former wife, allegedly had a baby together, Baby X we will call her. My husband has paternity questions about the child, due to the fact he found the X-wife and his brother-in-law in bed together. Two years...

View more questions Search