Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yannan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2008, 03:46 PM
    Urgent: single F1 student, received 1099 MISC due to CPT
    Dear tax expert,

I am a Chinese student under F1 visa, single female. This is my second year in the States(NY). In addition to W-2 and 1042-S, I also received 1099-G this year. At the same time I received two 1099-INT forms from two banks with very small amount, which I know that this is not taxable.

Now the form which makes me feel really confused is the form 1099-MISC. I received this from due to my CPT(Curricular practical training) job in a local church service. The amount is $2,100.

I don't know how to deal with the 1099-MISC. Which form shall I use, 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ? I heard that if you are a single nonresident alien, you only need to use 1040NR-EZ, is that correct? Also, I review some of the questions and answers in the website, I am wondering what is the schedule C? Where can I obtain it?

My last question is I also need to fill in the form IT-2 and IT-203 for NY state tax return. I have no idea about how to apply the amount showing in 1099-MISC to these two forms.

I sincerely appreciate if you can answer my question at your earliest convenience. There are only two days left. Thanks very much!

Best,
    Yannan
    asn234 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2008, 07:49 PM
    I believe you'll have to use 1040NR. I think you list the $2100 income in line 13 under Business Income or Loss. For the IT201, you list the income under line 6 (Business Income or Loss). You will probably fill out a Schedule C. Include a copy of the federal schedule C with your state taxes. Not sure if you file Form 1040, Schedule SE. Hope this helps a little.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 13, 2008, 08:02 PM
    You will need to file Schedule C (Form 1040): Profit and Loss from Business (Sole Proprietorship). On schedule C you will report your income and deduct your business related expenses. On your net income from self-employment (that is from schedule C) you pay 15.3% employment taxes if you have already completed 5-years on CPT. If you are exempt, then you don't pay SE taxes.

How you will treat the 1099-Misc income, read: Your U.S. Tax Return: W2 or 1099: Employee or Independent Contractor.
    yannan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2008, 10:21 PM
    Thanks very much for both of the replies!!
    sandu1979 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2009, 11:37 AM

Hi all,

I would like to know if any university in Illinois or anywhere which offers CPT which permits you to work full time. Im on f1 status and want to work full time off campus.

I was told my frineds there are few universiites, who offer CPT from 1st semester only, can anyone guide me. Thks Sabdeep,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Received 1099-MISC [ 3 Answers ]

My wife purchased a printing business in May 2007 with existing monthly customers. We filed a W-9 to each customer stating my wife SS number. At the end of the year, we received 1099-MISC from some customers with the old owners SS number and listed income received through-out the entire year. Do...

1099-Misc received on H1B Visa [ 4 Answers ]

I am an H1B visa holder. In 2007 I provided some extra professional service (consultation service if you will) for my employer which was later paid as a honorary amount. A usual I received my W2 form from my employer and I also received 1099-Misc form for the extra service that was provided. I know...

Resident alien F-1 received W2 and 1099 Misc [ 3 Answers ]

Hello AtlantaTaxExpert, Please help. I am a F-1 student from China. My status is resident alien since I came to US in Sept. 2000. In 2006, I worked for half year at a university (as a research assistant) and half year at a local company under CPT - Curricular Practical Training. I've received a...

On F1 status, received 1099-Misc [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am an international college student on F1 status. I own a website and I receive commissions for advertisements on my website. I received 1099-MISC with income in Box 7 (nonemployee compensation). The income is small, only about 8 hundred dollars. When I asked my school advisor how I...

Haven't received a 1099-MISC [ 3 Answers ]

I worked last year as a consultant for a small company. I haven't received a 1099-MISC from them, though I'm certain they will report my income. Frankly, I'm concerned that without significant badgering I won't ever see the 1099-MISC. Any suggestions for getting them to hurry things up? Can I file...

View more questions Search