Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jasoos007 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2008, 02:10 PM
    401K Rollover to existing roth ira ?
    I recently left my employer and was wondering if it is possible to rollover a 401K to a existing roth IRA. Is it a good idea.

Thanks
    Jasoos
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 14, 2008, 11:03 AM
    No! You can not roll your 401(k) into a Roth IRA. Instead, roll your 401(k) into a "rollover IRA," which is a separate account from your Roth or traditional IRA. In general this will be a new IRA account for you. The principal reason is that your 401(k) is funded with pre-tax money, and consequently you will owe income tax on any withdrawals you make. Your Roth IRA is funded with after-tax money, and grows tax-free, so any withdrawals from it are tax free (assuming they qualify as a normal withdrawal). So these two accounts must be separate to keep things straight.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rollover 401k to Australia? [ 7 Answers ]

Do you know if it's possible to rollover a 401k plan to Australia without being taxed or without penalty? I have roughly $9000 in my 401k and want to know the best thing to do with this money when I move back to Australia permanently. I don't want to be penalized/taxed 30% and would like to keep...

1099-R / 401K Rollover [ 3 Answers ]

This past year, the company that I work for was sold to another company. I had to take my 401K and roll it over to the new company's 401K plan. A few weeks ago, I received a form 1099-R in the mail. Do I have to report this on my taxes as it was a rollover into a qualified plan? I didn't take...

401K Rollover Fees [ 1 Answers ]

Are 401K Rollover fees tax deductable?

View more questions Search