Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cuddlesmilly Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2006, 08:19 AM
    Helen
    Hi. In the last year my periods have become very regular but 2 weeks before I am actually due on I become tired and start looking pale but am now getting worried as with my last period I started having big blood clots not small which I have never had before.Is this where I start to worry or is it normal.THANX
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2006, 09:21 AM
    Big clots can be normal for some people... my gyno says that some women just shed the lining of their uterus a lot more quickly than others, and there's not much that can be done about it... I am one of those women, unfortunately! However, this doesn't seem to be normal for you since you say it just started happening and has never happened before. Plus you are tired and pale, which could indicate too much blood loss and possibly anemia. I would urge you to go to the doctor and have this checked out.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Feb 16, 2006, 12:30 AM
    Cuddles, menstrual fluid is not just liquid - it is made up of blood and tissue from the uterine wall. The clots of blood that you are talking about are actually larger pieces of the endometrium (the uterine lining). Big clots of blood can be perfectly normal. Many women get them during their menstrual period when they have days of heavy cramping and heavy bleeding. Your body usually makes things called "anti-coagulants," that keep your blood from clotting as it moves to your vagina and out of your body. But during days of heavy bleeding and cramping, your body is pushing blood so quickly out of you that your body does not have time to release these anti-coagulants. Your blood then clots. If you have clots that are bigger than a quarter, or your period has been irregular for more than 3 months, it is a good idea to talk with your doctor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search