Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    uabeck Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2008, 10:08 AM
    Modular house in PDX, OR
    I want to move to PDX. OR in about 8 years. What are your opinions on a modular home? We want to kind of design it ourselves. My sister and I will want 2 master suites, 1 guest room, a great room with an open kitchen and if possible an apartment over a 3 car garage. Is this kind of owner designing possible in a modular home? Thanks
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2008, 10:21 AM
    Not really. I work at a place where I have access to all kinds of industry magazines on manufactured homes. You cannot really design your own modular home like that. You may try shopping for manufactured homes manufacturers in the area you want to move to and see just what's available on line right now. The industry is moving ahead by leaps and bounds every day with wonderful new designs. I kind of know what you want but right now I could not recommend any particular builder who could do this for you. By the way, modular or state code built manufactured homes actually give you a better buy for the money spent. They use the same materials as a stick built home and can do the job faster in a controlled environment of a factory. The homes can be placed on a full basement if you like - this way you can have a huge garage if you like if your land will permit a drive out basement configuration. There are so many modular builders out there now with wonderful floor plans I think that you would most likely be able to find a floor plan that you would like. The bathrooms now available are truly remarkable in the configurations and appointments. The homes are much better insulated also than they were years ago. The energy packages now available in these homes are superior to even stick built homes. Please check out all the manufacturers in the area you want to go. Some manufacturers do not transport the homes more than one state from where they are built also. And you need to find a dealer in the state you wish to place the home as dealers cannot set up homes in states where they are not licensed installers. Very important. Be sure whichever dealer you choose is a licensed home installer. Rules and regulations have changed so much in this industry for the better now. And prices are much more affordable than a stick built home as well. Go visit a model home display locally and speak to them and you'll see for yourself the quality now available.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you negotiate price on a modular home? [ 1 Answers ]

This may seems silly, but does anyone know or have experience in negotiating pricing on a modular home design. This isn't your mamas double wide but rather a 2K+ sqft home. The builder has provided their price on the home and I wanted to know if there was wiggle room. Thanks!

Repossession of modular home from elderly person [ 3 Answers ]

What can a mortgage company do to an elderly person(95) for non-payment on her modular home, due to her having to be put into a nursing home, other than just repossessing the modular home. They are threatening to take her to court.

Opinion on buying a Modular Home [ 13 Answers ]

Hi there, What do you think about buying a modular as the first time home buyer? Will it deprecite the value, any advice, experience is welcome!:) Thank you!

Odor from well water in modular home [ 1 Answers ]

The home is 13 years old and has been kept immaculately clean by previous owner. After moving in 3 weeks ago I was so dismayed that the odor was so strong coming from the shower. Nothing has helped so far. I spray Febreze but that's pretty expensive. Any suggestions appreciated. Anne

View more questions Search