Ask
    rob dis Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2008, 09:13 AM
    Ph in aquarium
    How do I keep my ph stable at 6.5 in my fish tank
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2008, 03:19 PM
    Do you have naturally hard water and need to know how lower and maintain a 6.5 Ph?
    Or, do you have naturally soft water and need to know how to raise and maintain a 6.5 ph?
    rob dis Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2008, 01:48 PM
    Hi there the water from my tap is 7.8 ph but very soft, when I do a water change over night the ph in the tank drops below 6ph I need to how to maintan the water in my tank at 6.5 if I use buffers it will stress my discus as they are in the process of cleaning the breeding cone ready for breeding I hope. Thank you.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Just a little note.
    If your discus are cleaning and getting ready to breed,
    Then they must be feeling good in the water.

Putting some real sea shells in the tank will help buff the water naturally and keep the ph at a steady range.
    Add 1 shell at a time and check the ph every 24 hours.
    Repeat this process until you have reached a ph of 6.5.

They like soft water, so I'd be careful with this process.
    If they are getting ready to breed, you're water might be perfect for them.

Another thing. In order to get a true ph reading from the tap is to let the water sit for about 30 minutes to an hour in a glass and then check.
    I don't know if you did this or not, but it would give a better explanation as to how much the ph is really dropping.

Good luck and happy fish keeping:)
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2008, 06:13 AM
    You will have to keep an eye on the ph levels and adjust with either alkaline, or acid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Aquarium water ph [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 400litre tropical tank with malawi cichlids. The ph in the water keeps dropping to 6. The last time this happened I brought the ph back up to 8 using ph8.2 powder. I am due to change the water tomorrow but checked the water again out of curiousity but find it has dropped back down to 6...

Aquarium [ 3 Answers ]

I like to start fresh water aquarium business in India what r all the steps to start this show more over I also like to export this fish over seas kindly kind me need help urgently...

Drain setup for an aquarium [ 4 Answers ]

The bottom of my aquarium will be 18" off the floor and it will have 2 x 1.5" flex PVC drains connected to the bottom of an overflow box, that run into a sump that sits on the floor next to the tank. The sump is 24" tall so the water will actually flow to floor level to the sump then it will have...

Cloudy aquarium water [ 1 Answers ]

I have an already established aquarium, but cannot get rid of the cloudiness. The ph is Good. Christine

Aquarium water [ 2 Answers ]

I'm setting up a freshwater aquarium & I have "well water" that goes through a water softner... can anyone tell me if this will be okay to use in an aquarium? Thanks, "Ken" [email protected]

View more questions Search