Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bibi Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2006, 06:15 AM
    Laptop battery life
    I just reasently got a laptop. My battery life is so short,like an hou, How can I maximize my battery life. Sumone told me that I should cgarge it or a long time, like 24hrs and that shoul boost its life span
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2006, 06:19 AM
    Do you have the manual that came with the laptop? This would be helpful for two reasons: it would have some instructions on the proper charging and discharging method, and it will tell the battery type (of course that is written on the battery itself as well) which is important to know.

Feb 13, 2006, 06:40 AM
    There is no manual about charging and discharging

The laptop is a seimins fujitsu
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2006, 07:00 AM
    Hi,
    It may be too late to "fix" this particular battery.
    Many, many types of batteries need to be fully discharged first, the first time, before fully charging them again.
    Ni-Cad batteries are one of these types.
    Let's say the battery has 1/2 a charge on it and is brand new, never been charged by the owner. The battery "remembers" this 1/2 charge, and if it is now charged for the first time, it has a full charge on it.
    However, when the battery is used, it will only discharge down to the 1/2 mark, because the battery "thinks" that this means fully discharged.
    When it's charged again, showing full charge, it's only actually been charged 1/2 way.
    That's why these batteries need to be completely discharged before the first time they are charged at home.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 14, 2006, 08:11 AM
    Most new rechargeable batteries come mostly discharged and need to be fully charged before using. It is very unlikley a new machine had a half charged battery. Most new machines I see say to charge 12-24 hours before first use.

You also need to check the stated battery life of your PC. Go to the manufacturer's web site and check the ratings. An hour or so may be reasonable for your model.

If not, then I would run the batter until its fully discharged and then recharge it for 24 hours. Then see what life you get.
    Fergus O'Carroll Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Feb 15, 2006, 08:03 AM
    I have used FSC laptops for the past 10 years and one of the only complaints I have about them is the battery life , max two hours when running on battery.
    Unfortunately you will constantly have to re-charge the battery when not in use.
    You can set system warnings when your battery life is running low .
    Look for "Power Options" in your Control Panel.Click on "Alarms" and tick the box beside "Activate low battery alarm " , set the slider to 10 %- 15%.
    You can also use other battery savings setting within "Power Options" to reduce consumption of the battery life i.e turn off monitor when not in use etc.

Another hint is to activate the "show Icon on taskbar" , that will allow you see whether you are using mains power or your battery.
    Hope this helps :)

Feb 17, 2006, 04:20 AM
    Thanks a bunch
    sameer8495 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2007, 12:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bibi
    i just reasently got a laptop. my battery life is so short,like an hou,. how can i maximize my battery life. sumone told me that i shud cgarge it or a long time, like 24hrs and that shoul boost its life span
    There r 2 ways 2 improve your battery life.
    1- u should calibrate your batry by fully discharging & then fuly chrging it once a month.
    Always work on ac power ,if available.
    2- put your wi-fi & blutooth off ( if not using) in battery mode, it sucks the battery.
    answermelater Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2010, 09:29 AM
    The best thing to do is to keep charging your laptop and occasionly unplug it until half the battery is used. Keep charging for a week and repeat.
    This uasually works with Acer, msi, dell, hp and compaq. Don't try it with viao, e machines and others not mentioned on the first list

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laptop battery [ 7 Answers ]

Have a new laptop. Can anyone tell me the proper way to use the battery wisely. Should it be removed while not in use? Run completely down before recharging etc.

Bad laptop battery? [ 3 Answers ]

Just bought a used Dell laptop, model CPXJ650GT. The battery will not power it, but the AC adapter will power the laptop from house current. When I push the battery test button, three lights glow indicating 60 percent battery power. However, the amber battery light ,on the keyboard, flashes...

Battery Question [ 4 Answers ]

Hey Guys, Speedball1 here. Is there any way to check on the lithium battery in my mother board to see its projected life? My clock's slowing down and I've got a hunch my battery's going bye bye. Next question. If I have to change out the battery what should I do to save the information on my...

Nikon Coolpix Battery Life [ 4 Answers ]

I've got an Nikon Coolpix 3700 using EN-EL5 batteries. According to the documentation I should be able to get 250-300 pictures per cycle but I'm only getting 100. This is just using the camera normally with some previewing and no editing.

Battery goes dead [ 1 Answers ]

My battery goes dead over night when I leave the + wire on checked over all wires can't find anything the battery works fine in my other truck can leave it for a week no problems can't figure this one out

View more questions Search