Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dwdon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2008, 09:34 PM
    How many recessed 65 W lights on one 20amp circuit?
    My question is pretty straight forward. I am going to have 20 recepticals and 16 recessed lights to wire. I have plenty of room for additional breakers in my box I also prefer using 20 amp breakers 12/2 wiring. How do you calculate how many lights and recepticals can go on one circuit? My maximum length of run will be approx 90ft.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 13, 2008, 05:18 AM
    In the US there are no limits in a residential setting, so this is just my own educated opinion.

I would put ten receptacles on a circuit, and all the lighting on one circuit.
    I would also NOT use #12 for the lighting. If you do use the #12 for the lighting you'll see afterwards why I said this.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2008, 07:18 AM
    Stanforty, why would you NOT use #12 other than cost?
    I agree with the 3 circuits.
    dwdon, you can have 30 65 watt bulbs on a 20 Amp circuit.

Apr 13, 2008, 08:12 AM
    I almost never use #12 for residential lighting circuits. I also use #14 for certain receptacle circuits.
    It is way too much of a pain to work with, fills switch boxes up MUCH faster (box fill wise), is horrendous when 3-ways and 4-ways and dimmers are involved, and IMO there is NO good reason to use it.
    Capacity is also a non-issue IMO. I just a few more circuits in the scope of a whole house. It's not like the load on a circuit is going to change much, especially in a new house.

I don't subscribe to the "bigger is always better" philosophy. I subscribe to the "work smarter, not harder" philosophy.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2008, 12:42 PM
    I Believe "Do it right Once and Forget abot it". Not sure if we can use #14 down here yet, even if we could I would likely only use with lighting circuits. 99.9% of work I do is in conduit, plus 1 or 16 lights only need one set of wires at switch box, and use X rings if they need, I use X ring at most switch locations for future upgrade with Automation devices. I also use stranded #12 , fits in boxes better and less stress on devices.

Apr 13, 2008, 01:44 PM
    I forgot you are in #12 and conduit country.
    Hey, to each his own, and deal with the requirements in your area.

I certainly DO feel using #14 in a logically wired circuit most definitely IS doing it right the first time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How many recessed lights on one circuit [ 1 Answers ]

Hi There! I am wondering how many recessed lights I can put on one 15 amp or 20 amp circuit. Also, could you tell me how to properly connect each light in series and if so do I need any junction boxes. What type of electrical wire do I need for this project. I was thinking of putting in 6...

How many light on one circuit? 15-20amp? [ 1 Answers ]

HI;:) I am remodeling my kitchen and installing new lights. I will be installing 8 Halo resesed 6" cans with 60w bulbs but they are rated for 75w, and 2-2tube floresent light fixtures, and they all will be split up between 4 switches but might be all on at the same time. There is one existing...

20amp circuit breaker, 15 amp receptacles [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 20amp circuit breaker with 15 amp receptacles and light switches on #12 wire with a load of 1700, is this allowable? If not, and I change to a 15 amp circuit breaker, is the 1440 watt safety load in the code or is it a non-code safety suggestion?

Recessed lights [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently extended wiring from an outlet to 6 recessed ceiling lights in the kitchen. The lights are 50W halogen. The lights are controlled by a dimmer switch. I have double-checked to make sure the insulation is not within 3" of any of the lights. The lights/dimmer worked fine for about...

Outside GFI circuit - 15amp outlet on 20amp circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I need a better understanding of what I should do when setting up my new outdoor circuit. I've got a circuit that runs about 150 feet, so I'm installing 10g wire to allow for the voltage drop. I read in the Home Depot Electrical 123 book that I can have at most a 15amp circuit with 10g wire on...

View more questions Search