Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Undecided73187 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2008, 04:01 PM
    A felon and unsure what restriction come with it.
    Im am 20 with a Associates in Liberal Arts. Will attend Hunter College(NY) in the fall. Was convicted of a felony at the age of 16 and charged as an adult. My charge was Attempted Robbery, under (YO) youth offender(something wasn't to sure of, but it got me out from a 1-3 bid). Wanted to major in law, psychology, or medicine, but not sure if true, that the states doesn't grant felonies licenses in certain fields. Need help to determine if this is right. If yes, then what field is recommended to follow that a felon can get. Im a fast learner and find everything interesting. Any lawyers out there that can help by sending my a link or help regarding what want I may able to major in.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 12, 2008, 04:08 PM
    If you were convicted as a minor, then your record will be sealed completely at 18. It can be opened with a court order, but even police background searches will not show any of it.
    SteveWard3928 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2008, 02:35 AM
    Charged as an adult... I am 98% sure it will show your conviction as an adult. So even at the age of 16 it will NOT come off automatically
    I am a RN in Ohio. I had a felony 1986 entry into an occupied dwelling (burglary?) It was no problem getting my RN in 1992.

Even if it shows as an adult... and you have only 1 felony it can be expunged (wipe clean like above) and only opened at a court order. Your background check will be 100% clean. Costs vary for this... usually a few hundred dollars. If you have multiple felonies pick the worst because only 1 will come off. If you do have it expunged... be sure to ask questions, OK? Steve
    SteveWard3928 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2008, 02:37 AM
    Fr. Chuck you are correct.. but she was charged as an adult. Steve
    Expert

Apr 20, 2008, 06:08 AM
    It appears the original poster came back and edited the original post with the adult issue.
    But also the youthful offender issue, not up on NY specific law on that, but also it is very possible that if you go on though college you can get this explunged by the time you finish college before you go on to more advanced degrees..

Also on many carreers it will even be the state you are going to practice in,
    hjpan Posts: 902, Reputation: 29

May 31, 2008, 06:54 PM
    Most likely, the felony will show on the script since you were charged as "an adult."
    Expert

May 31, 2008, 06:58 PM
    Yes, the best way and I should have mentioned it at first, go down and get a criminal history ran on yourself and see what exactly shows up.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 31, 2008, 07:49 PM
    Hello Un:

Most professions require that you not be convicted of a felony involving moral turpitude. That's stealing... However, they have ways in which you can still get licensed, if you have a mind to.

Felons CAN practice law. So, I suspect they can practice medicine and the other arts.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A convicted felon marrying another felon [ 2 Answers ]

I am a felon and my fiance' has just been picked up by the feds and we were going to get married in 2 weeks. I am wondering if I can still marry him in the federal jail. I know that the government shuns felons around other felons but, we have 3 kids together and I would think that they would allow...

Restriction code [ 1 Answers ]

I forgot my restriction code for my cell phone. Do you know how I can fix this problem? Thank you :)

HVAC coil restriction [ 1 Answers ]

I have an 8 year old Trane dual heat unit and a 6 month old Amana 5 ton Heat Pump which replace an 18 year old heat pump. The electric consumption has increased since the new Amana was installed and it was supposed to be more efficient. In November the service technician found head pressure of...

Wattage restriction? [ 14 Answers ]

I have a tri-light table lamp that has a sticker on the bulb socket that warns of fire hazard over 100watts. BUT a stamp on the socket reads 250V 250W. Is there truly a danger in using a 150watt tri-light bulb?

View more questions Search