Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    confused25 Posts: 319, Reputation: 98

Apr 12, 2008, 03:54 PM
    Age and Pregnancy
    Well, first of all I'm a guy, but I was very curious about how it becomes more difficult to become pregnant as a woman ages. I was therefore wondering when is the ideal age for a woman to have a baby (I'm speaking purely in biological terms, not maturity or emotional terms)? And at what age does it begin to get more difficult to become pregnant? I've heard various answers so I was hoping someone here could help. Thanks!
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Apr 12, 2008, 04:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by confused25
    ...I was therefore wondering when is the ideal age for a woman to have a baby...
    From a biological standpoint the younger the better.

Some links:
    AboutKidsHealth: Pregnancy and Babies: Getting Pregnant
    What Is The Best Age for Getting Pregnant?
    High-Risk Pregnancy - Pregnancy Over Age 30
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 12, 2008, 04:12 PM
    It is different for every woman. The average age of menopause in the US is 51. After menopause we do not produce any more eggs.

You see, we are born with a certain number of eggs, whereas you men reproduce your sperm every 24 - 36 hours.
    confused25 Posts: 319, Reputation: 98

Apr 12, 2008, 07:04 PM
    Thanks for the information! I was just curious because I actually have two female friends who are turning 28 and 29 in late May and their both worried that their "biological clock" is ticking. I tell them not to worry because its not until the age of 35 where it truly becomes difficult for a woman to conceive. However, the fact is that they are worried so they are frantically trying to finish up their college degrees (they left school than came back) and are stressing over finding a husband. Any advice on what kind of advice to give them?
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2008, 07:06 PM
    You see, we are born with a certain number of eggs, whereas you men reproduce your sperm every 24 - 36 hours.

Wow, I Never knew that, that is so interesting... I have learned so much from you.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 12, 2008, 07:08 PM
    Heck, I had my youngest at 38 years old. Your friends have a LOOOOOng time to go yet.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2008, 08:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by confused25
    Thanks for the information! I was just curious because I actually have two female friends who are turning 28 and 29 in late May and their both worried that their "biological clock" is ticking. I tell them not to worry because its not until the age of 35 where it truly becomes difficult for a woman to conceive. However, the fact is that they are worried so they are frantically trying to finish up their college degrees (they left school than came back) and are stressing over finding a husband. Any advice on what kind of advice to give them?
    Female fertility starts a slow decline in the 30's, for some women it can start even in the later 20's. It becomes more difficult to conceive in the later 30's and early 40's. Most women, becoming pregnant in their early to mid 40's often require medical assistance. It can also depend on a person's heritage... some ethnic groups tend to keep their fertility longer than others. Your friends may have no trouble at all becoming pregnant in their 30's, but statistically they may find it takes a bit longer than perhaps it would have sooner. They could be the ones who will fall pregnant on the first try... or they could be the ones that find it takes them 3 years of trying, with assistance.
    Men, while usually remaining fertile for a long time, do go through a change in sperm quality. Environmental exposure can play a role in overall sperm quality that is produced and obviously the longer a man lives, the more exposure he will have. This can effect the number of sperm produced, the mobility of the sperm... how good their sense of direction is... :), and the shape of the sperm... more misformed sperm, fewer that can do the job.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2008, 08:23 AM
    As far as biology goes, late teens/early 20s is the best time for a woman to have babies. Her body is at its strongest then and her cycles are well-established and at their most regular. Once she gets into her 30s her cycles become more irregular, making it more difficult to conceive. Also her body starts to age which makes it more difficult to endure the stress and strain of pregnancy and childbirth. Generally conception becomes impossible at early-to-mid 40s. Of course there are exceptions and these are just generalizations.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2008, 08:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Heck, I had my youngest at 38 years old. Your friends have a LOOOOOng time to go yet.
    Yep. My wife was just shy of 38 when our youngest was born.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

About pregnancy [ 1 Answers ]

Umm... I have a?. I had my 2nd baby in April and my last period was in aug... now with this baby I had to get on clomid.. it worked 3rd cycle.. ok back to my period... I haven't had a period since aug... but I have tooked so many pts and they all say negative.. I don't have the money right now to...

Pregnancy [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a possibility that I could feel sympthoms of pregnancy in the first day of conception?

Possible pregnancy? [ 1 Answers ]

I am 10 dpo and just feeling all over bad. I had a couple of days (8-9 dpo) that I cramped and spotted. My bbt are still high though. My breasts have been somewhat sore and I have noticed raised Montgomery's glands lately. Does this sound like I could be pregnant?

After pregnancy [ 2 Answers ]

I had a baby 3 weeks ago, and I was wondering when I can start doing sit ups to get rid of this belly I have?

Pregnancy [ 6 Answers ]

I have been trying to get pregnant only 5 months and no luck yet. But for some reason I'm starting to get scared that I can't get pregnant. Is that crazy? How long did it take you to get pregnant with your first child?

View more questions Search