Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sagondal Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2006, 07:34 PM
    MD Degree on-line
    Hi
    I am interested to register as on-line MD student. One University is offering me this degree. The name of university is IUHS (internantionla univ of Health science in West Indies.) . My quesition is
    Is there any university offering this MD course on-line?
    Pl guide me to register for this course on-line
    S
    Dear chuck
    Thanks for your answer and pl help me about this information.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 12, 2006, 08:26 PM
    I am sorry, my original answer was in error, I would check with the nation you wish to practice in to see if the information they offer on their web site is valid. I have some issue that any school offering online course work could be approved by the AMA in the USA.

Ok, I have checked this out more and it appears they do allow the first portion of the schooling to be taken online but it is more the basic pre-med studies. You will still have to attend in person their school full time to do the clinical work ( although they would allow some of the clinical to be done out of their school but with a licneced doctor)

The person doing this would still have to pass all of the tests by the AMA before doing any residency work in the US.

After looking this up I am going to check the doploma on my doctors wall next time, there are dozens of medical schools in varioius places, all but this one require full time at their location, but are accredited by the World Health Organization which allows them to sit for the US board tests.

Of course with that said, we had a man working on our loading docks that graduated a medical school in Mexico, he had sat for his US boards about 3 times and could not pass them. So he was loading trucks at our warehouse. So I guess just going does not mean passing

Feb 14, 2006, 03:46 PM
    Could you pl advice me aboout on-line MD degree and give the name of some school who are doing that and what they demand as fee. I have contacted one scholl who is demanding too much fee (30000 US/2 YEAR + 28000 next 2 year)
    Wishes, thanks
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2006, 03:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    After looking this up I am going to check the doploma on my doctors wall next time, there are dozens of medical schools in varioius places, all but this one require full time at thier location, but are accredited by the World Health Organization which allows them to sit for the US board tests.
    Don't worry Fr Chuck, someone might be able to get part of a degree or a whole degree in medicine online, but without a practicum (practical experience and training), they could never obtain the license to practice medicine. Having the degree and actually getting a license so you're allowed to work are two totally different things. For example, no matter how high your grades were, if you have a criminal record, you can't obtain a license to practice medicine in Canada. It's probably the same in the States.
    Expert

Feb 14, 2006, 04:00 PM
    I merely looked up the university listed in the first question, it lead me to several sites that listed those medical schools that were accepted by the World Medical Association.

The 20,000 to 30,000 a year was about as cheap as it gets, most were in the 50,000 a year range.
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2006, 04:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    I merely looked up the universtiy listed in the first question, it lead me to several sites that listed those medical schools that were accepted by the World Medical Association.

The 20,000 to 30,000 a year was about as cheap as it gets, most were in the 50,000 a year range.
    Personally, if I was going to spend that much money for a medical degree, I would relocate so I could take it in person rather than online. I would think if someone can afford $30,000 a year for school, they could also afford to move.

Btw sagondal, good luck to you! Sorry I can't be of any help... my husband, father-in-law, and adoptive father are all doctors, but they all went to "regular" medical schools so I don't know much about taking medicine by distance education.

Feb 14, 2006, 05:35 PM
    Hi Chuck
    I am working as Medicinal chemist in Canada and has more than enough knowledge about medicine and how they work. The medical school who gave me this quote like 50000 US/4 YEAR is in West Indies and they say we are on the WHO list and I CAN apply for licessing in USA/CANADA.
    However my ambition is to open free medical center in my born country, PAKISTAN/INDIA with this degree. This medical school ask me that you can do practical in close hospital and pass the first 2 year theroy on-line. My question here is that.
    Is this school is OK for my born country practice
    And also if some school in USA/CANADA IS doing that with same fee I can go there.
    PL HELP me in this regared
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2006, 05:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sagondal
    Hi Chuck
    I am working as Medicinal chemist in Canada and has more than enough knowledge about medicine and how they work.
    What do you mean by a medical chemist? I'm in Canada too and I've never heard of that profession. Do you mean like a pharmacist? If you're in Canada, why don't you take your medical training in Canada? Then you could still return to Pakistan to practice there. There is a medical school in practically every province, or are you not very close to a medical school?

Sorry, I'm just having trouble understanding why you don't just go to a regular medical school. Do you not qualify or something?

Feb 14, 2006, 05:48 PM
    Sorry, it is Medicinal chemist/organic chemist. There are two hurdle to get admission in canada

1- admission is competitive
    2- job
    Thank you Chava for your quick reply and advice and pl advice me to oversome these hurdle than I am ready to go in canada
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2006, 05:54 PM
    Yeah you're right about the competitive part. It's very difficult to get in. If you do ever decide to apply though, the medical school in Newfoundland is the easiest to get into in all of Canada.

I know that nurses can train via an online course here in Canada, but I'm not sure about doctors. I can ask my husband though and get back to you. Sorry I wouldn't really know about any other countries. Anyway I will get back to you tonight!

Feb 14, 2006, 05:58 PM
    Thank you Chava, sagondal
    Expert

Feb 14, 2006, 05:59 PM
    Yes, that is why many people decide to go to some of the medical schools in other nations that allow for testing in the US. Most keep the tutional high because they still get plenty of people from the US that could not get into one of the US or Canada schools.

The biggest issue will be the success rate at passing the US exam. If you want to come to the US.

But no matter which way you try and do it, the cost is going to be very expensive.
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2006, 06:43 PM
    Bad news as far as Canada goes, sagonal... both my husband and my father-in-law are quite certain that this online course is not offered in Canada. They also said it would be difficult for you to get an internship or get licensed here if your degree was from the online school. Not impossible mind you, but difficult. So hopefully you might have more luck in the United States. But as Fr Chuck said, it seems pretty expensive... good luck though anyway!

Feb 14, 2006, 11:07 PM
    Hello Chava\
    Thanks for efforts and support. Where are you Chava, I am in Edmonton.\
    I still did not talk this issue with any local training hospital for my practical training. However I have applied to this univertiy in ST. Kits (W. Indies). They have collaboration with Toronto East Hospital for practical and the admission office for this Medical School (Internantional University of Health Sciences IUHS) is based in Winipeg, Canada to whom I talk.
    They have fee like 2500 (first 2 years) and the same for practical training in a local hospital. These are my ambitions but still fee is high compared to my financial position. In term of education and exam I have no problem but how I can go through this Lisensing system which is hurdle to save life in my back land home towns and cities.
    Thanks you Chava for your support.
    Sagondal

Feb 14, 2006, 11:11 PM
    The Fee # is 25000,sorry
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2006, 07:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sagondal
    Hello Chava\
    Thanks for efforts and support. Where are you Chava, I am in Edmonton.\
    I'm in northern Saskatchewan, about a days' drive from Edmonton. :)

Sorry I couldn't help you further and good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Avoiding "degree mills", seeking real degree! [ 9 Answers ]

I started as an education major in the State University of NY Oswego. I made an unusual, and perhaps unwise decision to put my learning in first place, and made no efforts to get a degree. I read "Pedagogy of the Oppressed" by Ivan Illich, and got turned on to his untraditional, radical approach to...

What do I do with my degree? [ 13 Answers ]

Hey Everyone, Thank you for including me in your forum. I have been battling for the past year to get a job that corresponds with my degree. I have a bachelor of Social Sciences degree and majored in Psychology and Sociology. I have applyied to so many jobs but every single one of them requires...

Experiential degree [ 7 Answers ]

Dear learned Experts, Could any one of you inform me about the acceridition status of BELL FORD university and the experiential degrees they offer. Are they real and worth it or it is another degree mill of no value? Thanks and regards. Palanisamy. P.S: I have gone through their web-site....

A.Th Degree [ 1 Answers ]

I am considering getting an A.Th degree, it is 80 credits and 7 years, unaccreddited, from Calvary Chapel. Would it be smart for me to try to get this degree, being that it is Unaccreddited? Also, what do you need to Legally become a pastor, perform marriages, etc.. Ordination?? Thank...

Replaced Main Water Line, Now Shower Line Is Clogged [ 3 Answers ]

We had a leak, so we had the water line and sewage line from the house to the street replaced. Now we have no water in the shower. Some debris most have clogged up the line coming into the shower. All the other lines are fine. My Dad is somewhat of a handyman and wants to fix the problem...

View more questions Search