Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bourneultimatum Posts: 19, Reputation: 0

Apr 12, 2008, 05:05 AM
    Emotional Overeating
    Hi,

I have gained 100 pounds in one year due to emotional overeating. I fill the void in my heart and soul by eating anything that gets my mind off the fact that I'm unhappy.

I want to be happy again and I can't be happy while I'm overweight. I want to have a family and live a normal life. I need your advice, I need to overcome emotional overeating but I don't know how. I read various articles on the net but none had a real answer.

Thank you all
    Real Deal Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Apr 12, 2008, 05:24 AM
    Before you can solve your eating problems you need to find out what it is that is making you so unhappy. Once you do this you will stop the eating and enjoy life. I speak from real life experience. I too was an emotional eater and still can be I lost over 130 pounds became a personal trainer and put my engery now into diet and exercise, however, it is more the exercise side of things that release the stress part of life. Now don't get me wrong losing weight is not going to bring you happiness but you will feel better and through that become a better person. It is difficult so find support groups they are out there. Join a weight lost center and or a gym with like people want to reach the same goals. Support is very important.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2008, 08:03 AM
    Find things that interest you. Fill your unhappiness with things you can feel good about.
    When you have nothing to do and have an urge to eat look up and study stuff on the internet like self empowerment, self esteem and nutritional sites. Spend your time learning and growing and finding hobbies and things you enjoy. Enrich your mind and then maybe it will take your mind off emotional overeating.
    confoundedj Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2008, 12:38 AM
    Have you heard or read about paul mckenna? He's a motivational speaker who has a program that deals a lot with this. He teaches people certain psychological tricks they can use to overcome emotional eating, or cravings.

I have struggled with emotional eating for most of my life. I will go on eating sprees that last 3-4 days. This usually involves hundreds of dollars worth of grocery store foods, mostly ice cream, pasta, coke, bread, sandwiches, plus any fast foods. When I do this my stomach aches, my whole body becomes bloated, I don't want to go anywhere or be seen by anybody. I am getting better with help from paul mckenna (google him) and have already noticed I have a much healthier relationship with food.

Yes you need to heal yourself emotionally to stop the binge eating, but this guy will give you some tricks to help you out while you are on your journey.

Apr 24, 2008, 09:27 AM
    Yeah I heard about the guy, but my inner gut feeling tells me his technique are just ways of distraction, nothing more.

I also hide, and I don't want to be seen by anyone... I even convinced myself that love doesn't exist, because I don't want to think about getting rejected by every gril around me.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2008, 08:01 PM
    Unlike alcohol and drugs, a food addiction is really a trial because you can't completely stop eating. Overeaters Anonymous has all kinds of good ideas. There you will find people just like you, who will support your efforts and validate the pain of being fat, losing control.

Gimmicks? You have to change your entire life and thinking patterns. Changing, even if it's gimmick driven is still change.
    rockerchick_682 Posts: 496, Reputation: 72

Apr 24, 2008, 08:47 PM
    I look at it as an addiction, like nicotine.

It's easier for me to look at it as a challenge and beat it rather then just a couple more bites... no! The addiction! Ha ha, but really, it helps me.

Apr 26, 2008, 11:16 AM
    I'm thinking of killing myself to end this misery.. I've just lost faith in the world.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2008, 02:06 PM
    b,

Get a grip on yourself. All hope is NOT lost!

You can't eat if you are not at home with your refrigerator. You have to get out of the house. In addition, there are a few simple thing you can do to get started managing your eating right away that are easy and cut calories:

1. don't drink anything except water (or diet drinks if you have to)NO fruit drinks, no soft drinks with sugar, no coffee... Just drink water when you are thirsty.

2. don't eat anything that comes in a bag.

That's all. There you have started on your way to having a plan for your life... plan for your eating .

It is not that hard to build a life if you make an effort.

Now, you have to move your body. Depending on your weight, today, start a walking regime. Perhaps, start with 1/4 of a mile. Enjoy nature. Get a friend to go with you if you can, or a relative.

See, this is not that much, but it will make a huge difference in how you feel. It is a beginning for you.

Apr 26, 2008, 04:20 PM
    Choux,

thanks for caring =)

I overeat because it takes my mind off many unpleasant memories (but gaining weight has become one of those memories and I'm stuck in that circle)

I already follow rule #1 from years, but rule #2 is my problem. So should I just eat fruits and vegetables, is that what you mean? Please elaborate, because if that's the case I guess I can do it, because I'm not that great fan of meat.

Thanks to everyone and particularly to you 'Choux'.. I really appreciate your answer.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2008, 05:10 PM
    Sorry, I was very unclear. By food in bags, I mean potato chips, fritos, pretzels, cheetos, doritos... all snack food!

So, summing up: 1. drink only water for your beverage which you are already doing, great job!
    2. Don't eat snack foods(food in bags).

That's all for now along with the short walk and being out of the house. (Don't overdo ice cream, etc, though!)

What your goal is--get these habits *firmly set* in your daily routine. Weigh yourself on the first of the month. Do this routine for six months. After six months, see how you are doing. At this time, you can follow a diabetic diet-great all around diet for anyone and available anywhere--first at 2,000 calories a day while you get used to it and have it memorized. :)

If you start May 1... six months is October 1. If you just do this for six months, you will lose weight without starving yourself. At that time, see also how your mental state has improved and how you want to go forward from there. You may want to cut your diabetic diet back to 1500 calories... increase your daily walk.

Your goal is to be in a position to *enjoy life* one day at a time. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Emotional Overeating [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I have gained 100 pounds in one year due to emotional overeating. I fill the void in my heart and soul by eating anything that gets my mind off the fact that I'm unhappy. I want to be happy again and I can't be happy while I'm overweight. I want to have a family and live a normal life....

Save a boy who has compulsive overeating disorder [ 3 Answers ]

My son who is now 4 year old has compulsive overeating disorder. As a mother, I desperate need help to HELP him as he is still little. Any suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated. Ever since my little boy started eating table food, he's been having hard time stop eating. It's like he doesn't...

Emotional abuse? [ 1 Answers ]

My father has put me down and insulted me my whole life. He thinks it is funny. Often the insult comes in front of other people and he says it like a joke. Growing up, I didn't realize the affect it had on me. I would call myself a loser, fat, stupid or whatever. Luckily, someone told me how awful...

Breakee Still emotional? [ 6 Answers ]

Been broken up with my Ex for over two weeks now and its been 1 week nc we broke up because of some issues I needed help with. I find out she cries when people talk about me still after two weeks that normal for the Breakee after two weeks? She said she still loved me but needed space that was...

View more questions Search