Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    md164 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2008, 01:13 PM
    US tax return filing Jointly with wife, canadian citizen
    Hi,

I am on H1 B visa in US. I got married in July 2007. My wife is on H4 in US with me since Aug 2007. Before that she worked in Canada up to April so she is going to file her tax return in Canada.

In this case, can I file my US tax return jointly with her?
    Do I need to declare her income on MFJ since she is on H4?

Any response would be appreciated.

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 6, 2008, 10:11 AM
    You can file jointly with your wife and you both CHOSE to be treated as resident aliens. This will allow you to claim the $10,700 joint standard deduction plus two $3,400 personal exemption (for yourself and your wife) .

The downside is that you must declare ALL 2007 world-wide income. There are two offsets available, by either claiming a Foreign Tax Credit (Form 1116) or a Foreign Income Exclusion (Form 2555).

Even with the downside, this is probably the best way for you to file.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file as Married filing Jointly or Separately, if my wife has not entered US. [ 10 Answers ]

Hi David, I thought I'd post in this topic because I have a case similar to that of Balajinaik. However the website doesn't let me continue in his post, so I have to start a new Thread. I have been on an H1B visa through 2006 and will be filing as a resident alien. I got married in India in...

I filed 2007 Tax return married filing jointly and used ITIN for my wife now got SSN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: I filed my 2007 tax return(Married filing jointly) but I used ITIN for my wife, I heard to eligible for economic stimulas package both should have SSN, Now my wife received SSN , is there any possibility to amend my 2007 tax return with my wife SSN? Do you think that way I am eligible for...

H1b filing jointly with wife on H4 [ 5 Answers ]

I have done some research and just wanted to confirm if my conclusions are correct. 1. I need to fill my tax form 1040ez (as I am resident alien since 2006) with filing status married filing jointly. 2. I need to fill the w7 along with returns for my wife's ITIN number. (since my wife arrived...

Filing taxes, I have a non us citizen wife. [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: I am a US citizen. I got married on 11/2007. She is still in india (has not been in US) and probably will be there for a few more months (finishing her Post doctoral work) and I have started her paperwork to bring her to US. These are my questions: 1) From reading this site - it is...

Having H1B visa and Wife H4 can we file Tax return Jointly [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am first time filing the Tax returns in US I am a software engineer and presently located in WA state. I am in US since late July 06 and my wife comes here in second week of Nov 06. My questions are 1. Can we file Tax returns Jointly if so which form I should fill (here I am talking about ...

View more questions Search