Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Robnev Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2006, 02:15 PM
    Heating problem
    I have an oil fired heating system in my house with hot water baseboards. Most of the house is heated fine except for the kitchen and 2nd. Bathroom. These rooms or split off the main trunk feed and return lines but my main bathroom on the second floor is also getting it's heat from this line and has no problem getting heat. I also had to install a valve to reduce the heat to that room hoping that it would increase the heat to the kitchen and downstairs bathroom but it didn't. I changed the lines from the kitchen and downstairs bathroom with the upstairs bathroom with no change. Is there anything else I can do to else the heat in my kitchen and downstairs bathroom?
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Feb 15, 2006, 07:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Robnev
    I have an oil fired heating system in my house with hot water baseboards. most of the house is heated fine except for the kitchen and 2nd. bathroom. these rooms or split off the main trunk feed and return lines but my main bathroom on the second floor is also getting it's heat from this line and has no problem getting heat. I also had to install a valve to reduce the heat to that room hoping that it would increase the heat to the kitchen and downstairs bathroom but it didn't. I changed the lines from the kitchen and downstairs bathroom with the upstairs bathroom with no change. Is there anything else I can do to else the heat in my kitchen and downstairs bathroom?
    do you have water flow through (temperature different between 2 pipes)... if you have water flow then the baseboard maybe too small for the area or not enough flow... you could try using small hotwater fan coil heater ( kickspace heater)
    Lotta Posts: 124, Reputation: 8

Feb 15, 2006, 07:15 PM
    Is this steam heat or does this system have a circulation pump?

Feb 16, 2006, 07:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotta
    Is this steam heat or does this system have a circulation pump?
    It has a cirulation pump.
    Lotta Posts: 124, Reputation: 8

Feb 17, 2006, 10:44 AM
    Have you bled the kitchen and 2 bath?

Feb 17, 2006, 06:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotta
    Have you bled the kitchen and 2 bath?
    Yes I have and I have done this every year several times hoping for some change. The first time I do it I do get a small amount of air out but never get any air there after. I even tried do it until the water gets very hot but the radiator cools down shortly afterwords.

Feb 26, 2006, 03:14 PM
    I was thinking that maybe there is a problem with the flow of hot water in the kitchen and the 2nd. Bath. I was thinking that maybe if a installed a 2nd. Calculator pump after the last radiator in the 2nd. Bath at it would increase the flow of hot water through the kitchen and 2nd. Bath radiators and would increase the heat in these areas. I would also wire this pump to the main pump that both run at the same time. Do you think that this nay work and if it's worth the time and money? Will this affect the other rooms in the house? Thanks!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2006, 05:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Robnev
    Yes I have and I have done this every year several times as a matter of fact hoping for some change. The first time I do it I do get a small amount of air out but never get any air there after. I even tried do it until the water gets very hot but the radiator cools down shortly afterwords.
    It sounds to me like you are not getting enough water flow through that loop. A pump should help, but may not be the best solution if there is a restriction some where in the line. Try opening the line at both ends where it tees off and back flushing it with a garden hose. You may be able to wash out a chunk of crud or whatever that is blocking the flow at some point.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1996 Dodge Ram Heating Problem. [ 15 Answers ]

Looking to buy a dodge ram 1500 pickup truck but there is a heating problem. IT HAS NO HEAT. Can anyone help me. The carlot says maybe just a thermostat, well how much work goes into changing a thermostat and what would it cost me to get this replaced? HAS ANYONE HAD ANY major problems with the...

Heating Problem - Kenmore Heavy Duty 60 Series Soft Heat [ 4 Answers ]

My Kenmore Heavy Duty 60 Series Soft Heat Model 96565210will not heat on any setting. The dryer runs normally, it just won't heat at all. We did install a new heat element, and that would not heat up. Any help is appreciated!

97 Chevy S-10 heating and idle problem [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 97 Chevy s-10 standard model. Lately it has been overheating where it is pegged on the gage. I wasn't even sure I could get home the other day. What should I do? Also it doesn't idle very well and this has been getting worse lately. I am afraid it is going to quit is traffic and I will be...

Kenmore dryer heating problem [ 3 Answers ]

I’ve read through some of the post but have not actually found this questions. I have a Kenmore dryer that only heats when it is on the high heat/low heat setting. Any ideas?

Heating problem! [ 6 Answers ]

As I was watchingTV this morning I noticed that it was getting hotter and hotter in the house. I looked at the thermostat and it was not calling for heat, but it was still blowing very hot air. I turned the thermostat to the off position and it would not turn off. I tried cycling it through the...

View more questions Search