Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bellababy60 Posts: 41, Reputation: 3

Apr 11, 2008, 08:28 AM
    Divorce and Stipulations to Decree
    My b/f purchased a vehicle with his wife (now ex) during their marriage and is the primary account holder on the loan. After the divorce was filed, there was a stipulation that she was to re-finance the vehicle and remove him from his financial obligations towards the loan. It was stipulated that this was to occur within 6 months. He is uncertain of the terms of the decree. Does the six months include the time from which the divorce was originally filed or from the "final" date of the decree. Also, can he file contempt charges against her since she is making late payments on the vehicle and this is ruining his credit. He wants to purchase a new home and was turned down from three financial institutions when purchasing his new Jeep just recently. He learned that it was because she was "late" on the payments. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2008, 10:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bellababy60
    My b/f purchased a vehicle with his wife (now ex) during their marriage and is the primary account holder on the loan. After the divorce was filed, there was a stipulation that she was to re-finance the vehicle and remove him from his financial obligations towards the loan. It was stipulated that this was to occur within 6 months. He is uncertain of the terms of the decree. Does the six months include the time from which the divorce was originally filed or from the "final" date of the decree. Also, can he file contempt charges against her since she is making late payments on the vehicle and this is ruining his credit. He wants to purchase a new home and was turned down from three financial institutions when purchasing his new Jeep just recently. He learned that it was b/c she was "late" on the payments. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

He should read his Judgment of divorce - the terms and conditions "usually" begin on the filing date.

He would have to take her back into Court to enforce the terms of the divorce. He also has the ability to contact the Credit Bureau(s), provide the info on why the payments were late and the exact wording from the divorce decree.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2008, 02:08 PM
    The time frame when things start for settlement that was signed was on the date the document was signed to run for 6 months. The fact that she is late with payments now to ruin his credit is her prerogative (however spiteful on her behalf) to ruin her credit. If the six month period for refinancing has come and gone, would suggest the husband take her to court for contempt as this was part and parcel of the divorce agreement reached even before the final decree.
    bellababy60 Posts: 41, Reputation: 3

Apr 14, 2008, 07:55 AM
    [QUOTE=twinkiedooter]The time frame when things start for settlement that was signed was on the date the document was signed to run for 6 months.

I'm sorry. I don't understand the answer. Does the time frame for this agreement begin when at the original date of filing... or when the final decree was signed (3 months after the filing date) to which the six month period would begin when?? Thank you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2008, 07:59 AM
    [QUOTE=bellababy60]
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    The time frame when things start for settlement that was signed was on the date the document was signed to run for 6 months.

I'm sorry. I don't understand the answer. Does the time frame for this agreement begin when at the original date of filing....or when the final decree was signed (3 months after the filing date) to which the six month period would begin when??? Thank you.

Must depend on the State - Twinkie is in Ohio, I am in NYS. Here the time starts running when the Judgment of Divorce is FILED, not when the Divorce is heard, the Findings of Fact/Conclusions of Law are issued, the papers are signed.

I know - I had a similar problem with my "ex."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does the ex have to pay a credit balance that is stated in divorce decree? [ 1 Answers ]

If it stated in the divorce decree that an ex spouse ordered and agreed to pay a credit card off is the other party still responsible if the debt was never paid by the ex? That was over 4 years ago. The company/collection agency want to collect from me.

Getting ex to pay per divorce decree [ 3 Answers ]

Yes, my question is, my ex and I had one attoroney file our divorce papers. I agreed to everything and signed it in 2003. He is to pay me a certain amount over a 10 year period. He has been late every year with the payment, and this year he has yet to pay which it was due Dec. 14th, he indicates I...

Signing the divorce decree [ 3 Answers ]

The Judge in my divorce ordered me to sign the divorce decree prepared by the apposing attorney. She said that I was to sign it or go to jail, so I signed it. While I have no real problem signing my name “seen and objected to”, which I did, it was for a document that I never agreed to and it had...

What do you do if your ex-wife doesn't follow the divorce decree when she files her t [ 2 Answers ]

:mad: As part of our divorce decree, the judge ruled specifically that we were both supposed to claim two of our four children on our taxes. I just found out that my ex-wife claimed all four of the children and submitted electronically. Now, I am worried that when I file my taxes (as...

X-husband defaulting on divorce decree [ 11 Answers ]

My former spouse agreed to pay me 25% (net) of his pending worker's comp claim in our divorce decree. However, he was successful in turning his "pending" comp claim into (2) separate back injuries to keep from paying me an extra $20,000.00. He did this by claiming he "reinjured his back 60 days...

View more questions Search