Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    campfam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2008, 07:18 AM
    What should I look for when buying a used pool?
    We would like to buy an above ground pool, but cannot afford a brand new one at this time. What should I look out for, avoid, expect, keep the age of the pool under, etc? I have found some internet sites recommend replacing a liner that has been allowed to dry. Anything else?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2008, 07:46 AM
    If you are willing to spend lots and lots of money trying to keep the pool's chemicals right - be my guest. Also you need a winter full cover for the pool. Also it is a good idea if you have horrible water in your house to get good fresh water trucked in by a water tanker instead of trying to doctor up your house water. Also did you know that chlorine if not properly adjusted in the water can enter through your pores and make you sick if in the wrong mixture or too strong? I could go on and on but I guess you get the idea I'm not a big home swimmingpool fan whether in ground or above ground. Plus you have to fence it off to keep kids from using unsupervised and drowning. etc, etc.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2008, 04:50 PM
    I would not recommend buying a used pool either as you are just asking for someone else's problem. You probably will get a filter motor that's on it's last legs also. If you can even find a good used pool - you'll probably end up paying just as much or a tad less than a new one. New pools are not that expensive if you buy them when they are on sale. Is that what you wanted to hear? Happy now? Save up your money and buy new. The people who owned the used pool - who knows what for cooties they had - do you want their cooties? I sure wouldn't. Nor would I want whatever was growing in the pool either as used pools for sale have notoriously have been sorely neglected prior to their being put up for sale.

Better yet use the neighbor's pool and skip yours until you can get a NEW one.

P.S. I owned in ground and above ground pools and personally would never buy a used pool.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 12, 2008, 08:53 AM
    I have installed many new pools but avoid used pools. I think you will not be happy with the head aches of rusted/corroded channels, brittle liner, clogged filters elements. These are all common issues with used pools. The previous owner likely did not take the greatest care of the pool in its last year. You knew about replacing the liner so the only thing else I want to bring to light is the corroded channels at the base and the filter problems. Good luck.
    coltonjared Posts: 66, Reputation: 4

Apr 12, 2008, 02:34 PM
    I had good luck with the used pool I got, it had little bit of minor rust on the wall and that was it, I used fine sandpaper and sanded the rust down then sprayed it with a rust prevention paint and its been a great pool. I use Baqacil chemicals in my pool because its chlorine free.
    pmmegm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2013, 05:37 AM
    WOW~ Angry much?
    SpaParts Posts: 48, Reputation: 3

Dec 3, 2013, 11:43 AM
    I would never recommend you to buy a used cool, it will keep on troubling you. My suggestion would be sooner or later get a new pool.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pool player wanting to start a pool hall in indianapolis [ 1 Answers ]

Simply; if anyone reading this is interested in starting a pool hall in indianapolis please reply. My name is lucas I have been around pool for over ten years and I currently work at a pool hall on the east side. My funds are low but, my will is high. I have several good ideas. Contact me...

Buying above ground pool [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone actually had any luck buying an above ground pool. My husband and I are buying a 24' that is at least 3yrs old and from what I have been reading it doesn't sound like anyone has had any good luck doing this. I have read that you have to replace linner, has anyone not had to? Also read...

Buying a Used 24' round above ground pool [ 1 Answers ]

How do I know if the seller is telling the truth on how old the pool is? He is selling a 24' pool for $700. Includes the liner which I will not be able to use. Includes a gas 250,000 BTU's ?heater also a vacuum to go along the bottom. Filter is a bigger filter. I don't know how big that is. ...

Buying a used pool [ 1 Answers ]

I am buying a used pool from someone and want to know if tearing it down and then putting it back up will some how damage the pool. I will have to buy a new liner the guy said. It is a 24' by 48 above ground. Thanks for any information I guess Im wondering if I should just buy a new pool and...

View more questions Search