Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kasuda Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2008, 12:36 AM
    My son does not listen to me
    My son is 15years of age and now is in grade 10 with board exams to attend this year.He is not taking his responsibility of studying regularly seriously.he is very very intelligent but dislikes to study but knows its importance.I have done all I could to help him with studies but the results are very dim.he is a very affectionate child though.when I ask him to sit with books he takes it very lightly and if I force him we land up in an argument.its getting tough.. well his father does not take anykind of interest .its all my responsibility PLEASE HELP!
    2008chrissy Posts: 131, Reputation: 18

Apr 11, 2008, 01:30 AM
    There is a large different between my younger brother and I, he is going to be 17 this month and has a similar problem as your son. I think a lot of times boys seem to lack some kind of initiative. A lack of motivation, boredom, you understand where I'm come from. The problem here might be boredom on your son's part because he is an intelligent boy. Many times the child does not feel challenged in school and simply gets bored and distracted. Also pay close attention to his group of friends - do they have similar habits as him? Girls start coming in the picture too and that throws a curveball in!

My advice is to try to talk to him like an adult in the calmest manner you can. Take him out for a special dinner or somewhere he would like to go and really try to have a heart to heart, even though this can be sometimes hard for a mother and son to do.

Try not to preach or scold him. Try to put a new twist on the conversation, put yourself in his shoes and try to imagine what he is going through. Then try to give him the best advice you can.

Best of luck with your teen!
    kasuda Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2008, 05:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 2008chrissy
    There is a large different between my younger brother and I, he is going to be 17 this month and has a similar problem as your son. I think a lot of times boys seem to lack some kind of initiative. A lack of motivation, boredom, you understand where I'm come from. The problem here might be boredom on your son's part because he is an intelligent boy. Many times the child does not feel challenged in school and simply gets bored and distracted. Also pay close attention to his group of friends - do they have similar habits as him? Girls start coming in the picture too and that throws a curveball in!

My advice is to try to talk to him like an adult in the calmest manner you can. Take him out for a special dinner or somewhere he would like to go and really try to have a heart to heart, even though this can be sometimes hard for a mother and son to do.

Try not to preach or scold him. Try to put a new twist on the conversation, put yourself in his shoes and try to imagine what he is going through. Then try to give him the best advice you can.

Best of luck with your teen!
    Thanks a lot... iv written down all that u said point wise to stop me when I get nagging... thanks a lot...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I know I shouldn't listen but? [ 2 Answers ]

Hey there, my name is Brittney and I have been with my boyfriend for about a year now. I love him I am sure of it, but a lot of people tell me that it is only 'puppy love' and then when I go off to University our relationship is going to fall apart. I am 18 and my boyfriend is 17, he is in...

Be with him or Listen to my parents? [ 14 Answers ]

Okay I have been with this guy for about a year and a half (since I was 15, Im now 16) and when we first got together my parents loved this guy! But then we broke up and I was very upset! I didn't want anything to do with him. But I seen him and talked to him and I realized I missed him and I want...

Do I just listen. [ 13 Answers ]

What do you say to a marriedman who you have been seeing and now havewalked away from when his wife still accuseing him of still being unfaith (she had her guesses ) he knows you have walked away but still wants to talk to you about it saying may he is prolonging it. I just have listened and...

Listen to this song and tell me the name please [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I was in Barrio Latino (Paris) last Saturday and I made a small film with my still camera; after I've put it on my computer and looked at it I was wondering wich song was playing. I've already put an mp3 version online to ask people around if they can tell me wich song/artist it is....

View more questions Search