Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    interinfinity Posts: 142, Reputation: 8

Apr 10, 2008, 08:27 PM
    Does it get any harder than physcis and diff eq
    I'm a computer engineering major and I have my calculus and physics credits done, and am about to take Diff EQ. Does it get any harder. Some people have said physics and cal 3 are the hardest classes you will ever take as an undergrad. Anyone with some experience think there is any truth to this. I have a 3.1 GPA and the last couple years have been rough, will it get any easier. I have a lot of electrical engineering classes left, so anyone who has taken some EE classes, I would love to hear from you
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2008, 08:34 PM
    Currently a math major... so I can't really help you out as far as EE, but in asking "Are there harder math courses out there?"... absolutely.

... to be honest, diff eq's considered one of the easier math courses here...

Calc 3's rough... differential geometry's a bit rough... real analysis I and II... make me want to vomit.

Best wishes.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2008, 08:51 PM
    Big Hint: Don't take math from a math professor. Take it at night and continuing ed when an en engineer teaches it. It's a lot more fun and you'll probably get a better grade too.

A few of my worst:
    Dynamics.

The programming language LISP. Everything is re-cursive. I doubt it's taught anymore.
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Apr 22, 2008, 01:10 PM
    I have done graduate work in environmental sciences, computer science, and clinical psychology. There have been folks I've known who took to mathematics like a duck to water; others (like myself) had to struggle with the concepts. I found geometrical concepts easier than more abstract concepts because I'm a visual person (I enjoyed the math involved in advanced computer graphics, for example). It really does depend on the person. My office mate when I was getting my MS in computer science was a doctoral candidate who was studying mathematical proofs of correctness; he had to draw a diagram for a presentation and was stumped, because he had a hard time getting his mind around the concept of boxes and connecting lines. Yet give him a page full of equations and he had no problems.

I'm not an EE so I don't know how much math is involved in the field on a day-to-day basis. I can tell you that most people getting a degree in computer science won't use most of the math they've learned very often. When I did my MA in clinical psych, I had to take a grad statistics course. I don't use that very much in my job, either. So you may want to talk to some EEs working out there in the field and find out what kind of jobs would minimize your need for math on a day-to-day basis.
    alamleh Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Apr 25, 2008, 08:24 AM
    Probably you need to take Linear Algebra and numerical analysis, those are harder than D.E. ans similar to Calculus III
    CFZD Posts: 385, Reputation: 49

May 6, 2008, 12:27 PM
    Okay, right person to ask this question.

There might be two diff eq that you can take for your major a. Electrical Diff Eq b. Maths Diff Eq. My university accepts both and I took Math Eq, and it was not as hard as Electrical Diff Eq.( I helped my other engineering classmates with their E. Diff. Eq before, I think theirs was harder
    ). It also depends on individuals, I am a maths person, more into calculation.
    With math diff eq, it is a combination of Cal 1,2,3 and other new stuff, so I think you should take Cal 3 before Diff Eq.
    Physics is not that hard, but I advise you take cal2 before taking physics!
    Let me know if you have any other questions, you can PM me.
    teezee Posts: 27, Reputation: -1

Jun 29, 2008, 03:19 AM
    New flash: cs can only get harder. The cs major is a highly competitive one in any school you go to and never easy. EE is also difficult. Just be prepared to work hard and love what you do and don't be too concerned about how much "harder" its going to get. Accept the challenges you must face to do what you like, because I will definitely say from my experience that classes never got easier

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it harder w/ a 2nd pregnant? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I was just wondering if it is harder to conceive a 2nd time? My first is 19months old, and my husband and I are planning to have another one, but we were wondering if it was a little trickier to conceive second time around... Everything was fine with my first as far as health problems. I am...

Does Sit Ups Make It Harder To Loose Weight? [ 3 Answers ]

Does Sit Ups Make It Harder To Loose Weight? I've Been Told That It's Harder To Loose Weight When You HAve Muscles Because Of Something I Don't Remember xD But Is That True? For Example If I Do Sit Ups To Get Rid Of My Tummy Will That Actually Help Or Just Give Me Muscles On My Stomach Along With...

Harder life: Men vs. Women [ 12 Answers ]

Dear fellow ask.comers, I once did an essay on the topic of who really does have the harder life men or women. This came to my mind today and this has an aspect of relationships as well. Who TRULY has the harder life? I mean women go through certain changes boys don't have to. Girls you...

Is it Harder,or Easier [ 2 Answers ]

Is Pre-Algebra harder or easier than regular algebra?

View more questions Search