Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sailorman Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2008, 06:56 PM
    Hard wiring under cabinet lighting
    OK, I really need some help with under cabinet lighting. I posted earlier this week regarding the link below that suggests cutting the plug off the lights I bought and wiring directly to an outlet.
    I received a couple of replies stating this is wrong, but didn't receive any further help.

If anyone could help here I would greatly appreciate it. How do I hard wire under cabinet lights that have a plug?

HOME IMPROVEMENT : Installation : Install an Under-Cabinet Light Strip : DIY Network
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Apr 10, 2008, 07:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailorman
    OK, I really need some help with under cabinet lighting.
    Hello Sailorman :
    I ask myself what the problem is that you experience?
    You can wire it with a connector to the outlet (the better option), or connect it as suggested into the outlet. Can't you miss that socket on the outlet for other use? There are two and three way combiners for the US system, is it not (sorry, I am in W. Europe).
    Success!
    As always : if you require more info, please let me know. If this solves your problem, please rate the answer provided! Feed back is always appreciated!
    ;)
    Sailorman Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2008, 07:40 PM
    I don't want to plug them into the socket as it is an eye sore seeing the cable.
    I want to wire directly to the back of an outlet. Can I use the cable from the light by simply cutting the plug off?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 10, 2008, 09:15 PM
    What type of fixture are you using? Would you have enough room in the fixture itself to connect the house wiring? If not you will have to install outlet up as close to the cabinet as possible and plug the fixture in it. You cannot just cut the light cord and hard wire it. Once you connect the light cord to the house wiring, it becomes part of the house wiring and must meet all of the wiring rules.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Apr 11, 2008, 03:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailorman
    Can I use the cable from the light by simply cutting the plug off?
    Yes you can, but that makes the light wiring a fixed part of wiring circuitry, and therefore it has to be installed as per the official wiring rules : so get an Electrical Reference Book for details[/URL]s.
    Success!
    As always : if you require more info, please let me know.
    ;)
    pixelboy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2009, 12:30 AM
    Hey Sail, I did this the same as you. Did you find a better way or just followed the DIY?
    I know it doesn't meet the electrical standards, but in the end is it dangerous or really a hazard? Has it worked for you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring under cabinet lighting [ 3 Answers ]

I purchased 110V fluorescent lighting for mounting under our kitchen cabinets. The lights came with a plug. I read on a DIY website that it is fine to cut the plug off and wire directly to an outlet inside the wall. Is this true? If so, do I simply wire straight into the back of an outlet? And...

Wiring Under Cabinet Lighting Directly [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, There's a nice set of Xenon under cabinet lighting at Lowe's that can be wired directly by popping out the knockouts. So I looked at the directions and they say you can use NM or armored cable but it just doesn't seem right, or to code, to use NM, I suppose running through a hole in the...

Under kitchen cabinet lighting [ 1 Answers ]

I bought two sets of touch sensitive under cabinet kitchen light set put them in but one set keeps flashing then stops all together I've replaced the transformer and the touch switch but the wires in the six port connector, when you move the wires there the light go out two which one you touch ....

Wiring question 14awg and Cabinet lights [ 3 Answers ]

I had an electrician install some under cabinet puck lights. The puck lights were a last minute addition to the recessed lights he installed. After watching him install the recessed lights I thought it looked easy so I put some more in myself in another room. I got all kind of books and read...

Kitchen cabinet lighting [ 1 Answers ]

I've purchased hampton bay under cabinet lighting and the sets are limited to up to 200watts. If I have 2 sets can I splice the 3 setting dimmer switch to activate the 2 mutiple outlet strips?

View more questions Search