Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ssHomeaa Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2008, 12:27 PM
    Increasing Hot Water flow in Shower
    I am in a 4 year old home. The County Inspectors had done something in the kids' bath that only allowed lukewarm water to flow in the shower. Understand that this was done to prevent scalding water to flow on to the kids. I believe this is something to do with the Flow Valve or Cartridge or something else. How can I access this and make adjustments such that there is a reasonable flow of hot water.

The shower has a single control for hot and cold water.

The forum has 2 other questions that are similar to this but a clear answer could not be found.

Is this something I can do (a novice) or should I call a plumber? All other baths in the house has acceptable hot water flowing when the shower control is turned to hot.

Thanks in advance
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 10, 2008, 12:36 PM
    I'll start by saying the inspector had no business altering your antiscald device. He can inspect but he is not a repair person or plumber. Tell him to comeback and undo what he did to your shower valve. Antiscald decvices are usually very adjustible and 100-108 degree water is about right for kids, most adults like it a bit hotter. Is it a Moen?

I just reread your post and am not clear about your primary question. Do you need more pressure and flow or just hotter water?

Apr 10, 2008, 12:47 PM
    Thank you for the quick response. I just need hotter water. If you can direct me to where this adjustment component is located, it would be great. If I have to remove the shower or get behind the tiles or something, I will call a plumber.

Thanks

Apr 10, 2008, 12:49 PM
    Also - the shower is a Kohler. Thanks
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 10, 2008, 03:15 PM
    SSHomeaa:

Check out this link. This is most popular kohler valve... Hopefully, similar to yours!

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal.../1006260_2.pdf

Page #10 shows you how to make MINOR and MAJOR adjustments to the temperature limiting setup of valve. You will need to remove the handle first.

Let me know how this worked.. ok? Mark

If this helped please RATE THIS ANSWER. Thank you.

Apr 10, 2008, 05:39 PM
    Mark, I can't seem to open that link, is it me or you?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 11, 2008, 04:34 AM
    Hey Bob:

I clicked on it AFTER I posted and it worked. And I just clicked again and it worked (took almost 40 seconds to show up).

It is a 24 page PDF file... may take some time to upload all pages. Try it again if you will... let me know. Thanks... Mark

Apr 11, 2008, 09:43 AM
    Yep, I just wasn't being patient enough. Thanks, Bob
    Knucklez Posts: 129, Reputation: 2

Apr 11, 2008, 07:38 PM
    Wow, I wish my kholer valve came with instructions like this. I must have had an earlier "still written in china" version?

You see picture 15/16 is what you need to adjust. But I see the valve being sunk IN to the cement board a bit. My instructions didn't show that! So my valve was flush to the outside.. hence the need to build out some "trim" around the valve..

Ho hum.. seems so simple now :)

Knucklez

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Increasing the water flow of a Moen shower head [ 5 Answers ]

I have just installed new bathroom fixtures, Moen brand. I have tried to increase the pressure of the shower head. I have taken out the O ring in the top and I have unscrewed the face of the head. I have not been able to remove the head or remove the plastic in the neck. I don't want to break it...

No water flow to shower head [ 1 Answers ]

We have normal flow of water to our tub faucet, but no water flow to our shower head. What could be the problem?

No hot water/low water flow when shower is turned on [ 1 Answers ]

My home was built in 2005, I have a shower/tub combo that has only been used once since it was installed. I recently had issues with hearing sucking/draining noise coming from the drain in this bath when toilet was flushed, I discovered the water in the trap had evaporated.. Easy fix! But when I...

Increasing well water pressure [ 1 Answers ]

How do I Increase my well water pressure?

Minimal hot water flow to shower [ 3 Answers ]

Hot and cold water runs freely from the faucet to the tub, but when the shower is turned on, the majority of the hot water continues to run from the faucet to tub and not go up through the shower. No problems with cold water. What is wrong and can I fix this?

View more questions Search