Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottDaisy Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2008, 11:58 AM
    My Rotweiler collapsed
    My Rotweiler got up from laying on the floor and when she got up she collapsed. She wouldn't get up. I laid there with her for an hour and finally she decided to get up. I was possibly thinking that she might have had a small heart attack but I am not sure. It is about two hours later and she is doing fine right now. Do you know what could have cause this?
    svatnsdal Posts: 183, Reputation: 20
    -

Apr 10, 2008, 12:10 PM
    This is hard to answer, are you sure she didn't do it purposely? What did you do to try to get her up? Did she make any sound that could be meaning she was hurting? Has she had any problems with digestion, or eating? Run your hands down her legs and see how she reacts, and also see if you feel anything odd.
    Why do you think a heart attack? Honestly, I don't think so. Has she shown any other odd signs in any way?
    ScottDaisy Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2008, 12:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by svatnsdal
    This is hard to answer, are you sure she didn't do it purposely? What did you do to try to get her up? Did she make any sound that could be meaning she was hurting? Has she had any problems with digestion, or eating? Run your hands down her legs and see how she reacts, and also see if you feel anything odd.
    Why do you think a heart attack? Honestly, I don't think so. Has she shown any other odd signs in any way?

Do you think she could have had a seizure?
    -

Apr 10, 2008, 12:33 PM
    If she had a seizure, she would have fallen, and gone into serious shakes. How old is she? Can you please answer some of my questions, this will make it easier for me to understand.

Just from what I you wrote, I would guess she is old and has arthritis. She stood up and got a pain in one of her leg joints. She willing fell to the floor due to the pain and just wanted to wait till the pain died down, then was willing to get up. That's why I ask you to run your hands down her leg. If she feels swollen in any joint, that is one sign, and if she is to make a yelp or something when feeling any area that is another sign.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2008, 04:11 PM
    Actually, it could have been a seizure; not all dogs convulse when they seize, some just sort of... space out.

Was she alert the entire time? Does she have any other health problems? When is the last time she saw a vet?
    -

Apr 10, 2008, 05:14 PM
    Seizures come in two main forms, generalized and partial. Generalized typically last less then 5 minutes and partial motor or mild generalized last as long as 30 minutes.

Generalized seizures are most common and appear as tonic-clonic muscle spasms involving the entire body.
    Partial seizures are rare and occur two ways.
    1. Partial motor seizure, involving only an isolated part of the body.
    2. psychomotor seizure, complex stereotypical behavior.

Most times when a dog has a seizure it is very, very obvious. Plus usually dogs show a completely different change in attitude before the seizure. They will hide, seek attention, things like that. Can start days before, or hours before.
    Plus after the seizures they usually suffer depression, hunger, thirst, hyperactivity, pacing, and a few others. Same as before seizures, can last hours, can last days.

Now these are the main reasons I really do not believe the dog had a seizure!
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2008, 05:29 PM
    svatnsdal, my dog is epileptic, I know quite a bit about canine seizures. Typically, yes, a dog will convulse, but it is possible for a seizure to occur without that tell-tale sign. My cousin's dog was epileptic too, he never convulsed, just "spaced out".

I didn't say the dog had a seizure, I said it was a possibility. We don't have enough information from the OP at this time to say with 100% confidence it is or is not a particular disorder. Hopefully we will get more information, or the OP will take her dog to the vet to be evaluated in person by a professional.
    KalFour Posts: 332, Reputation: 46

Apr 10, 2008, 05:30 PM
    It could be a seizure. It could be a blood pressure problem. It could be caused by a dietary deficiancy. How old I she?

I'd suggest taking her to the vet and getting her checked. Or at least calling to ask for professional advice.

Kal
    Devildog0311 Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Apr 10, 2008, 05:31 PM
    My dog's in great health but sometimes he would collapse as well. Make sure your dog has access to water at all times. I'm pretty sure it was dehydration because I'd bring him a bowl of water and he'd drink it and get up a little bit later with no problems.
    -

Apr 11, 2008, 10:18 AM
    I would advise you to just take your dog to a vet. This seems to be very pointless here.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2008, 10:30 AM
    I had a lab with seizures growing up. He never convulsed until the very last one that resulted in us having to put him to sleep. He had the "stares" when he was having a seizure. He would collapse onto the floor and no matter what we said he would not respond. Sometimes he would have an accident.

I would take your dog to the vet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Partially collapsed lung [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter has a partially collapsed lung suddenly. What are the possible causes?

Collapsed in uncontrollable tears [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I wasn't sure who to ask about this and still not sure whether to talk about it, but here goes. I had been out with my girlfriend in town, we had a really good day and thus eneded up staying out - one of those off the cuff decisions. Anyway, walking home I just kept stopping and...

View more questions Search