Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mysteryperson123 Posts: 125, Reputation: 7

Apr 10, 2008, 10:06 AM
    Is there something wrong with my sisters hamster?
    Sylvia is a Golden syrian hamster. My sister has had her since July/August. Recently Sylvia has had a wet patch around her tail area. It is there, then the next day it has gone. By the end of the day the wet patch is back. It keeps drying then becoming wet again then drying and so on. We think it may be that maybe her water bottle dripped a little bit and she sat in a wet patch but I think I need the opinion of someone who knows more about the health of hamsters.

Apr 14, 2008, 03:39 AM
    Does anyone know if Sylvia might be ill?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Apr 14, 2008, 04:37 AM
    First thought is diarrhea caused by diet change. See Hamsterific Hamster Illness Guide. Also, see if this article about Wet Tail in Hamsters matches her symptoms.

Apr 17, 2008, 03:34 AM
    She seems perfectly healthy apart from the fact that her tail is wet on and off. She doesn't have diarrhea, she eats normally.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Apr 17, 2008, 06:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mysteryperson123
    She doesn't have diarrhea, she eats normally.
    Probably just wet from urination or water then. However if it persists, or she becomes lethargic take her to a vet.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 17, 2008, 07:46 AM
    Wet tail is very serious, the hamster usually dies within 24 hours of getting this disease. Sylvia does not sound like she has wet tail, believe me, you'd know.

Does the wet spot smell funny? That would be a way to tell whether it is just water or urine that is causing this. If you are worried, or if she stops eating or starts getting the runs then take her to the vet immediately. Hamsters are very finicky and can get sick quite easily. Just keep you eye on her, you'll know what to do.

Good Luck.

Apr 18, 2008, 07:32 AM
    Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can you tame a hamster? [ 14 Answers ]

I have a panda hamster names bamboo She's 8 weeks old and I've had her a little over a week, not very long I know She bites a lot and I want to know if there's a way to tame a hamster so they don't bite as much Because I don't like picking her up anymore because I'm afraid she'll bite me and...

Hamster [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I'm just wondering. I have a female syrian hamster and she is 8 weeks roughly mmmm She is vey nervous and she has bit me once but I want to tame her. Do you know why they make growling noises because she is doing that when she bites the bars and scratches. Plus I want to get her used to...

Hamster died.why [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My hamster was found dead today. I am 12 and really upset I didn't do anything wrong. She had her water, food and tons of playthings she had everything. I only got her in August!! I really need to know why she just died. She was found in her bed just asleep but she did used to climb across...

Hamster Qs [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have a friend, he says a lot of things... The other day he said a hamster could kill a rat by jumping on its back and biting its neck. This seems a bit silly to me, the largest animal I could find that they eat using Google was locusts. Does this actually happen or is he making things...

Is my hamster going to be okay? [ 2 Answers ]

Okay this might be kind of a dumb question but whatever. I have a hamster named Larry and I pay attention to it and everything but I put it in it's plastic ball thingy and I forgot it was in there and kind of left it in there too long and when I tried to take it out it was going all crazy and when...

View more questions Search