Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nnaymmap Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2008, 08:14 AM
    How to prime my whirpool pump
    I do not know what kind of jetted tub I have as they did leave a door to the pump to look at it. I have been told that I need to prime the pump but am not sure how to do it. When I press the button I can hear the pump running but the jets or air flow does not work. I do fill the water 2 inches over the jets. There is a opening with a screw on cover on the top of the tub and when I blow down in it I can see air coming out of the jets, I am thinking I have to do something with this opening like blow air down it or should I pour water down in it? Is this what priming the pump means? I just bought this house and was not left any instructions on how to make it work. Please help. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
    nnaymmap
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 10, 2008, 05:46 PM
    What model and brand is this. Whirlpools do not require priming unless improperly installed. When you look into that door and see the pump are there any valves or gates valves?

Apr 11, 2008, 05:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nnaymmap
    I do not know what kind of jetted tub I have as they did leave a door to the pump to look at it. I have been told that I need to prime the pump but am not sure how to do it. When I press the button I can hear the pump running but the jets or air flow does not work. I do fill the water 2 inches over the jets. There is a opening with a screw on cover on the top of the tub and when I blow down in it I can see air coming out of the jets, I am thinking I have to do something with this opening like blow air down it or should I pour water down in it? Is this what priming the pump means? I just bought this house and was not left any instructions on how to make it work. Please help. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
    nnaymmap
    I miss spoke when I said there was a door, there is NOT a door. They closed it all up with tile. I can not get to the pump. Therefore I have no idea what make and model it is. I really do not want to have to tear up that tile. What is that hole on the top of the tub for? It has a screw cap that I can take off, is this an air control tube, like I said I can blow down into it and bubbles come out the jets. Should water be poured down into it?

Apr 11, 2008, 09:39 AM
    OK you are between a rock and a hard place. Is there a closet in the next room at either end of the tub. Maybe you can cut a service trap door in the closet. Otherwise you are stuck. Sorry I can't offer more help.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 13, 2008, 07:36 PM
    Whirlpool or jetted tubs do not need to be primed. The thing you are looking at is probably the air intake. The pump will not only circulate the water through the jets it will draw air into the jets to make more bubbles. The cap is probably the way of regulating how much air is mixed in the jets. Just be sure that the tub is filled above the intake valve. Better fill it above the jets unless you want a lot of splash.

There should be some access to the pump, perhaps the front or skirt comes off.

Apr 18, 2008, 07:24 AM
    So no there is no way to the pump, they tiled it all up. If I do rip out the tile, what kind of reasons would there be for it not to pump water through the jets?

Apr 18, 2008, 07:32 AM
    The pump seals may be shot or there could be an obstruction in the piping but I go with seals first. Whirlppols should never be totally enclosed, inspection doors are pretty much SOP.
    Dr_Spa Posts: 101, Reputation: 13

Apr 19, 2008, 07:04 AM
    The screw cover your talking about allows air to be drawn in when the pump is running and mixes with the water coming out of the jets. This increases the pressure of the jets. It has nothing to do with priming the pump.

Possible problems you might have;

Pump motor is froze and not spinning (it would still make noise) or the impeller broke off.

You basically have a car that needs engine work, but the hood is welded shut :-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you prime a pump? [ 5 Answers ]

Can somebody tell me how to prime a sprinkler pump the right way? I have 2 cut-off valves on my system. The first one leads to the pump, and the other valve leads to the cylinder shaped thing with the five tubes on it... My question is: do I close the 2nd valve and open the first valve to let water...

How do I prime a well pump [ 10 Answers ]

We have been without power for over 10 hrs and now I have no water. I was told I need to prime the well pump but I don't know how. I have never had this problem before. Can Anyone one help. The holding tank is inside the pump its self is out side.

Well pump will not prime. [ 0 Answers ]

Hi everyone, Recently I had a break in my water line going between the well pump and the pressure tank. It happened over night while I was asleep. When I awoke I heard the well pump running in the basement. When I finally went to inspect it I found my basement completely full of water. ...

How do I prime my water pump? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I live in a rental property with one water source that supplies 2 units. Our power went out today and now the water does not work. The pump will need to be primed now to get the water running again, but I'm not sure how to do that. I cannot get in touch with the landlord right now and I...

Pump prime [ 2 Answers ]

I lost my prime on the pump for my home well. My question is how to prime?

View more questions Search