Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cabanel319 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2008, 08:03 AM
    Does the furnace control the a/c air?
    I recently moved into a house that has a gas furnace. I noticed when I moved in that the a/c wasn't blowing well, or very cold. When the gas was turned on a few days later, the a/c vents started blowing harder & the air got colder. Is this because the furnace is controlling the a/c? I have a switch to turn the furnace off, and when it goes off the a/c still runs... I don't know anything about heat & air, how does this all work?
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2008, 08:11 AM
    The fan should operate the same -- when the thermostat calls for heat the fan runs when

Needed -- when the thermostat calls for cool the fan runs -- should be the same
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2008, 10:15 AM
    By the a/c you mean the outside unit?

Typically the disconnect located by the furnace will prevent both the outside and inside units from running, but the outside unit still has power. That unit is controlled by a separate breaker.

You could have a dual fuel setup, although rare. This consists of a heat pump outside with gas backup.

Another possibility is that it's a dual transformer system.

The thermostat on the wall somewhere controls the mode of the furnace and whether the heat or a/c comes on. The fan can be on all the time if desired.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier/Bryant Furnace control board . [ 9 Answers ]

I replaced Carrier/Bryant board and the led is flashing rapidly.. what can be wrong? It looked like there's problem with polarity,but everything is fine, the led is still flashing.. uff.. Led Code: Continuous on rapid flashing-Line voltage 115 polarity reversed.If twinned,refer to twinnig kit...

Bad Furnace Control Board? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Carrier 58PAV that intermittently aborts or sometimes clicks on and off at the draft blower stage. I found out I can move the control board (HK42FZ007) when the blower motor clicks off, and it clicks and comes right back on. If I hold it just right, the furnace starts and if I manage to...

Furnace control board fuse keeps blowing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Carrier furnace 48GS-036090311TP with a Honeywell T8401C thermostat. I can run the fan on continuously but when I put the Heat to ON on the T-stat, the 5 Amp fuse on the control board (LH33WP003A) in the furnace blows. The sequence is like this: 1. Fan only operation is running...

Furnace blower control malfunction [ 4 Answers ]

My 15 yr old Bryant 394GAD gas furnace started this fall by doing everything OK except that when the burner clicked off, the blower would cycle off and on 2-4 times before shutting off completely. Now the problem has progressed to where the blower won't shut off at all after the burner is shut down...

View more questions Search