Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SIMON W Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2006, 12:44 AM
    How Many Watts Will A 10 Amp Power Point Support
    Next month is my brothers 21st birthday & i have hired a hall in which the party will be held and my band will play,but i was told by
    A hall committee member that the power points are only 10 amp & i would like to know how many watts this will support... there are three of these power points on the stage that we will be playing on.
    My bass amp is 300 watts,the guitarist has 100 watts and there will be a pa & the drums will be miked up too.
    Will i need to hire a generator or is there another way around it,if it is going to be a problem?

Thanks,

Simon.
    rudi_in Posts: 251, Reputation: 45

Feb 12, 2006, 08:41 AM
    Thank you for posting your question to the Ask Me Help Desk!

Now, I am not a band guy so I cannot say that I know this will work because I have plugged them all in and used them before but from the science/mathematical standpoint, the numbers seem to work out OK.

Here is my hypothesis...

I know that from physics POWER = VOLTAGE x CURRENT where power is measured in watts, voltage in volts, and current in amps.

Therefore, if you take the 10 amps and 120 volts (from standard outlet) you would get 1200 watts.

This would mean that ideally, you can support 1200 watts, but again this is not an "I have been there, done that" viewpoint, it is a science/mathematical one.

I am not 100% sure on this one so what do the rest of you out there think?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2006, 09:58 AM
    Hi,
    I am not an electrician, but your anwer before mine is very good.
    P = IE (or, PIE as I remember it from Engineering College).
    The outlet should support 1200 watts, but I haven't tried it either.
    Even using 110 volts at the port, that's 1100 watts.
    Best of luck.
    SIMON W Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2006, 03:52 PM
    Thank you very much,I also asked the same question to a generator hire centre & they said pretty much the same thing.
    So,thanks again.

Simon.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How many watts can a 15 amp circuit support? [ 10 Answers ]

Recently had my 35 year old Federal Pacific service entrance replaced. As I was labelling the circuits, I found that the 15 amp furnace fan circuit also has a bunch of lights on it. If I add them all up plus the 12 amps for the fan (that's what's on the fan label and I assume it's the max load at...

Circuit watts [ 1 Answers ]

Can any one please tell me the difference between watts per luminaire and cuircut watts per luminaire

Watts for fans [ 3 Answers ]

The average watts for bath and ceiling fans

Max watts lighting on a 15 Amp breaker [ 1 Answers ]

I plan to add a new 15 Amp breaker for additional lighting in a basement - how many watts can be applied to each 15 Amp breaker

View more questions Search