Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DMA Posts: 114, Reputation: 8

Apr 10, 2008, 05:06 AM
    It's raining outside, what to do to get in shape?
    So it's raining, I'm stuck indoors with nothing to do. Usually I would just go for a walk. I want to loose fat and increase muscle (loose 5-10KG of fat at least). Don't think walking for an hour is going to do it on it's own.

Pushups - I can do about 10 without too much fuss. Pretty lame but I'm definitely getting stronger. Situps I can do. Need some ideas for other exercises (I'm new to this lol). Maybe something for the legs?

Diet - Trying to watch what I eat more. I found I eat loads of bread is that bad? I would just snack on bread and butter when I was hungry between meals. Plus I used to skip breakfast. Now I'm snacking on raisins (and raisins for breakfast). Trying to drink more water as well. For main meal should I leave out the roast potatoes? Not sure how bad they are. No choc, biscuits, cake, alcohol - that was easy. Giving up caffeine is not. I cut it down from 3 big cups of tea a day to 1. Should I cut it down more?
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2008, 05:26 AM
    Skipping is great (and cheap) if you can get the hang of it and get fast. Whether you can do it indoors depends on the space you have though!

I wouldn't worry too much about the caffeine most of the research is flately contradictory anyway. A recent (good) research paper showed that drinking tea was actually healthier than water. The important thing is you are getting enough fluids.

Don't just eat bread and butter as you will be hungry again really quicky, you are better to add some protein such as lean ham. Also use margarine spread rather than real butter if you do not already and swap white for wholemeal.

I'd up the amount you eat for breakfast. Try something based on complex carbohydrates.

Replace roast veg with mashed or boiled, roast potatoes are pretty much covered in fat.

And just as general advice watch food that says it is diet or low in fat. They usually put loads of rubbish in them to make up the consistancy and flavour. I have seen low fat versions of food with more calories then the regular food. It is easy to see how people get caught out.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2008, 08:59 AM
    Exercise dvds from the local library? I have a trail behind my house for when its nice, but if its nasty ill either hit the gym or use a few dvds to pass an hour or two.

The only one I do a lot is tae bo type stuff. It gets in your arms and back, helps your legs, and rear, good for muscle work and toning. Ok-ish for cardio... just not the same as running, but it's a good way to mix up the routine. Doing pilates more now... great for toning and strength, not a cardio workout.

Jumping rope is a killer way to cram a jog into half the time.

Do you own a bike? You can get a stationary bike mount to turn it into an indoor exercise bike temporarily.
    Depressed in MO Posts: 571, Reputation: 94

Apr 10, 2008, 09:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171
    exercise dvds from the local library? i have a trail behind my house for when its nice, but if its nasty ill either hit the gym or use a few dvds to pass an hour or two.

the only one i do a lot is tae bo type stuff. it gets in your arms and back, helps your legs, and rear, good for muscle work and toning. ok-ish for cardio... just not the same as running, but its a good way to mix up the routine. doing pilates more now... great for toning and strength, not a cardio workout.

jumping rope is a killer way to cram a jog into half the time.

do you own a bike? you can get a stationary bike mount to turn it into an indoor exercise bike temporarily.
    Taw Bo is great! I have a cardio-tae bo dvd that I've started to use recently, and it has worked wonderfully! Got to love that Billie Banks! Excellent suggestion-especially for indoors.

Apr 10, 2008, 02:34 PM
    Yeah skipping is a good idea.

How about wholemeal toast for breakfast? Or maybe beans on toast? That sort of thing is high in complex carbohydrates?

For meat in sandwiches is SPAM OK? Its like 91% meat but has quite a lot of salt and it has preservatives - sodium nitrate. Is that just bad for blood pressure because of high salt? Its basically processed meat I'm not sure how 'unhealthy' it is.

I'll look into that other stuff like tae bow and a bike mount.
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2008, 02:50 PM
    What about peanut butter and an english muffin for breakfast?

Get some lean roast beef or turkey or chicken.

Seriously, check out your library. While exercise vids can vary in quality, you can often get a feel for what you might like from the library selection.

Tae bo isn't fantastic, but it keeps me interested enough and its easy to make it easier or harder with modifications such as adding weights or modifying the routine.

And pilates always seemed to me like the "new" yoga for women until I tried it. And it kicked my arse. Its about controlled breathing and deliberate control of the body... not unlike what weight lifters focus on when bodybuilding.

Just be willingn to try some new things out. I scoffed at pilates for a long time. Then I saw my wife's abs and was shocked at her core strength. While id rather be hitting a heavy bag, I just cannot dispute the real results I've seen from her work and that I'm just not getting from it.

Play around a bit and see what sticks. Then let us know what you've learned.

Always great to hear about peoples experiences...

Apr 10, 2008, 03:15 PM
    I think I will try pilates further down the line. Just going to focus on exercise and diet for now.

Also I am finding I eat a main meal at about 6pm, but by bedtime I am really hungry and over eating. I have a big supper say cereal and maybe a couple of sandwiches as well. Usually a thick slice of cheese too, but I'm stopping that. I seem to do OK all day then stuff my face at the end of the day, how can I stop that? I won't be able to sleep until I eat.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2008, 04:44 PM
    Try a rebounder. This give me a great workout. If you can do this for more than a half hour I'll give you a medal.

Also, you might want to try this trick. Dr. Wayne Dyer has this advice to give to people about changing themselves (which you need to do). When you are just about to eat something say either to yourself or outloud "I am going to eat healthy foods and be slim". If you were smoking cigarettes you would say to yourself "I am not a smoker" every time you light up. You are what you THINK you are. The more you confirm this messaage to yourself every time you eat you will find that you eat more healthy.

I tried the Adkins diet and found that when I ditch the carbs I lose the weight and am not hungry. The carbs are your enemy making you hungry in the evenings.
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2008, 09:38 PM
    eating big at the end of the day isn't good... if you need more meals earlier, do it.

also understand pilates IS exercise. Trust me... I cannot do half of the intermediate dvd in proper form, and I workout 4 times a week with cardio and weights. My wife does pilates probably 4x a week, and she can do situps and hold forms that I cannot, even though I am stronger then her in terms of weight movement and reps... just wanted to clarify that pilates isn't about a mindset... it is about strengthening your core, and its damn impressive. I'm probably 2-3 months from being intermediate level, and that's a helluva a workout.

how are you doing on veggies and fruits, especially at dinner? I've found that lean meats and cheese can be a good snack in between meals, and cutting back carbs at dinner I think is a good plan. This isn't to say never do carbs at dinner, after all, my wife is italian... but try to refrain from breads as a common snack late in the evening.

my experience is that moderation in eating coupled with a deliberate exercise program is the best. You can fret all day about diet, but until you commit yourself to 1-2 hours working out, you aren't going to see the results you want.

I was up at 4:30 this morning, working out by 5am. Would I rather sleep in? Hell yes! But that 1.5 hours of stretching and exercise gets my metabolism going and I'm good for the day. If I get another few miles of walking in later in the evening its just bonus points.

so think about your diet, but think more about how you are going to move your body.

Apr 12, 2008, 12:17 PM
    I tried having a decent size breakfast. I think that helps me not get staving hungry in the evening. Looked up some pilates vids on YouTube. I see what you mean - seems quite feminine but man I could not do that! I would collapse on the floor after about 2 minutes lol.

Changing diet is not easy (break habit of a life time). I'm only just trying to teach myself about proper eating this year. I've never been taught anything about it before. Veggies and fruits - I used to go months without eating any fruit (apart from tomatoes and orange juice). I eat veg but probably not quite as much as I should. Most of my main meals are meat and potatoes type. Usually with a bit of veg on the side. Why cut carbs at dinner? Is that because the body should be slowing down and doesn't need fuel like having carbs in the morning?

I went to supermarket today. I got some lean ham and also some muffins for breakfast. Looks like the muffins might have sugar on them though, is that the sort of muffins you mean?

I could not get up at 4:30am! I wake up and struggle to get up before 9am. I usually have a headache when I wake up, eyes are a little sore and not much energy. I don't sleep well at all. I wonder if diet change can help fix that? Any ideas?
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2008, 01:19 PM
    I get what you say about pilates "looking feminine"... like yoga, women seems to populate the class. I had the same hangup. What I can tell you is its gotten into my back and abs in ways that I wasn't getting before... sure, sometimes the pace bores me, but then the actual work makes me whimper.

If it makes you feel any better, it was designed by a POW who tried to keep in shape while imprisoned.

Joseph Pilates

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting in shape [ 3 Answers ]

How and what is the best way to lose weight,I mean could you give me a good diet plan

Need to get into a shape [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, u can call me Willy. See guys, this is kind of embarassin but I hope you guys will make me feel comfortable and help me out here. I kind of have a shape problem here.. well I'm 18, I'm 5ft 4 inches, I'm slim and an ordinary looking girl my weight is 42.5kg. But I have a problem that is my...

Really Out of Shape [ 4 Answers ]

I played badminton yesterday and after 10 minutes I was breathing heavily and ready to pass out. What are some ways I can get into shape before the end of the month?

When it's raining, should I walk or run? [ 13 Answers ]

Presuming no wind, and rain coming straight down, will I get wetter walking or running? I'd think that it would be running, as I'd be forcing more rain to hit the front of me which is more area than my head and shoulders. There are plenty of hits googling it - but I read some logical...

Leaking around boiler flue when raining [ 1 Answers ]

When it rains heavily I get a terrible leak around the chimney flue which enters the boiler in my basement (I think it's called the flue it's the piece coming out of the foundation wall and into the boiler). I have a chimney cap and inspected the crown of the chimney and the outside structure......

View more questions Search