Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    salvador1724 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2008, 01:09 AM
    To block X-rate website?
    :cool: How to block on internet explore x-rated website?
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Apr 10, 2008, 01:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by salvador1724
    :cool: How to block on internet explore x-rated website?
    Click this link to the Guide to Internet Blocking and Filtering.
    Note : there is additional info at the bottom of that page !

Success!
    As always : if you require more info, please let me know. If this solves your problem, please rate the answer provided! Feed back is always appreciated!

;)
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Apr 10, 2008, 08:27 AM
    For a stand alone the easiest thing to do is purchase a program like net-nanny or cyber patrol. These programs keep up-to date lists of unwanted sites and can provide you with reports on internet activity. Personally I prefer cyber patrol.

If this is on a network and you need to get some web-proxy software. There are lots out there but I don't have any real experience with those applications.
    etalmar Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Apr 22, 2008, 03:43 PM
    There is no need to purchase any program to solve this problem. The easiest and most effective solution to permanently blocking any x-rated site is to put the domain name of the site in your hosts file. If you do not understand how to create a hosts file, here is a good tutorial, as well as an excellent (and free!) program that helps you to maintain your hosts file very easily...

Blocking Unwanted Parasites

Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File

HostsMan 3.1.55 [1.94 MB zip]

abelhadigital.com

Hope this helps you. Once you get the hang of using a hosts file, you can block virtually any malware/scumware/x-rated site that you desire.
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Apr 22, 2008, 04:34 PM
    Personally I don't care for that solution but it does work. You will have to click "No" on Security Warning boxes whenever you hit a site that's in your hosts file. Also, such a large hosts file will slow your computer down, if you have a fast computer you might not notice this though. I was using something similar on my kids computer and they kept complaining about all the Security Warning boxes when they were on some of the flash game sites. I found it a lot easier to use (pay) Cyber Patrol to take care of that for me. I was also able to tailor Cyber Patrol for each kid so my oldest son could do more stuff and the younger ones were a bit more restricted. And truth be told, I hated having to remember to update it.
    etalmar Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Apr 22, 2008, 06:18 PM
    jstrike,

Your hosts file doesn't have to be extremely long to be effective. I have a custom made file based on my viewing habits and preferences that has a minimum number of sites listed, but the hosts file approach is a more hands on proactive solution, as opposed to Cyber Patrol, Net Nanny, or some other similar product, which is a more passive approach. It depends on the type of person using the computer to decide how they want to block intrusive sites. Perhaps as a busy parent, Cyber Patrol may be more to your liking. I, on the other hand, prefer to create my own block list from scratch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Average rate of return, net present value, internal rate of return, & payback period [ 3 Answers ]

CAM Company is evaluating a project requiring a capital expenditure of $619,200. The project has an estimated life of four years and no salvage value. The estimated net income and net cash flow from the project are as follows: Year Net Income ...

Which company I should consult to get a good rate for buidling my website. [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking to develop my own website but would like to know where I can go and find some good rates based on my specifications. My budged is around ~$2000 and the website I am looking for will be database-driven where users will create memberships and post blogs. I am familiar with basic web...

Direct-cost rate, Indirect Cost rate [ 1 Answers ]

Budget 2007 Pro labor compensation $960,000 Audit support department cost $720,000 Pro Labor-hours billed to clients 16,000 hours Actual Results 2007 Audit support department costs $744,000 Pro labor-hours billied to clients 15,500 hours Actual pro labor cost rate $58

View more questions Search