Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mother414 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2008, 01:35 PM
    Primary physical custody and joint legal custody
    My son and his wife are divorced now, they have joint legal custody mother has primary physical custody because my son is in the military and he was told that she had to have primary physical custody in order to enroll the child in school. However she doesn't have my son listed as a contact person or a person that can pick his son up from school whenever he is home on leave. The mother says she has primary physical custody therefore she has more rights than my son. Is this correct?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 9, 2008, 07:05 PM
    To mother414. No the mother of your grandchild does not have more legal rights to their child then your son does. He should be listed on the school records and also be on there so he can get reports and report cards from the school. Also should something happen to the mother his name will be there as a contact in case critical decisions need to be made.
    He can call the schools and have himself added and if they as or require a birth certificate he may need it or a copy of the court papers.
    Also no the mother didn't need primary custody to enroll the child in school. Someone told a lie on that one.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 9, 2008, 07:37 PM
    No, first the mother did not have to have physcial custody issued, to enroll the child in school, joint legal custody was all that was needed, sounds like a good lie to give her more authority over the child, since now the child's father is limited to visitatin rights nor joint custody.
    But in reality joint custody does not really work, when the child is with the mother, she will or can do what she wants, if the father objects, he has to drag mother back to court. Since they do not have equal custody the mother can do this since at this time, he now merely has visitation rights

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Joint physical custody arrangements [ 3 Answers ]

What sort of joint custody arrangements could my ex and I come up with if I move to a different state?

Joint Legal Custody in AZ [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, My Ex-husband and I share Joint Legal Custody of our 10 yr. old daughter, w/ myself having Sole Legal Custody. My new husband has received a job promotion and in time will require us to move out of state. We have been very upfront about this decision w/ my ex-husband and he seems to be...

Joint Legal Custody [ 2 Answers ]

The custodial parent informed me that our child may need major surgery. She informed me she took our child to an appt for an exam. She then said she was getting a second opinion. She did not provide me with any information on the first appt or give me the option of going to the appt. Now she is...

Can I get child support with joint physical custody in MA? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been divorced for several years. When I was divorced, my husband and I were making roughly the same amount of money and he insisted on joint physical custody. Two years ago I was laid off and my income dropped by more than 40% when I finally found another job. I didn't think I was...

2 years MIA file for legal physical custody? [ 3 Answers ]

I just found out that it is possible for my daughters father to file for legal physical custody of my daughter who he has not seen in 2 and a half years and he is not on her birth certificate (as of yet-his choice)... he was emotionally abusive to me and has never respected her... even terrorized...

View more questions Search