Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pizd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2008, 11:26 AM
    Seller didn't disclose foreclosure.
    I just bought a house in FL. Seller was having "family issues" and had to sell for loooow. Skeptical, I was assured that home wasn't in foreclosure. This is 1st time purchase so I don't know all steps involved. At closing I ask seller if his title was clear for the home and with the HOA. He says yes. So does the title company that I"m paying for.
    I move in.
    Last weekend a process server knock on my door looking for Seller. I tell him Seller doesnt live here anymore and he tells me this is related to foreclosure of Seller.
    This is the 1st time that "foreclosure" is spoken in the realm of this house to my ears. I'm pizd! I haul to the courthouse and lo and behold... foreclosure proceedings against Seller for the house w/ a default judgment.
    My title company should have found this out, right?
    Now, what do I do? I don't know who to approach 1st- title company, foreclosing lender's attorney, my lender, etc.
    Any advice?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 9, 2008, 11:44 AM
    Were you represented by an attorney at the closing? If so, I would start there. If not, then start with the Title Company - the whole point of title insurance is to cover this type of thing.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2008, 12:00 PM
    You need to talk to your attorney.

You did have an attorney, right?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2008, 01:46 PM
    Your title company is the one who goofed and didn't properly search the title to the home. They are to be held liable for this.
    pacific nw Posts: 117, Reputation: 11
    -

Apr 17, 2008, 10:26 PM
    I'm puzzled. If you bought the house, your escrow agent had to get a payoff on the loan. The escrow officer would have been notified that the house was in foreclosure and any pending sale date.

At any rate, your new mortgage loan paid off the old loan that was in foreclosure. Probably; the foreclosure process was so far along that the Trustee didn't get notification that the loan had been paid off before they had the servicing agent drop by. Really shouldn't be a problem if you did use an escrow agent.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2008, 06:18 AM
    Hello pissed:

I don't know who you're mad at or why. The old owner was in foreclosure. You bought the house. Now the house is NOT in foreclosure. You own it. What's the problem?

excon
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2008, 06:25 AM
    Wasn't a formal title search conducted prior to closing? I can't believe that a pending foreclosure would have been overlooked. Your best bet now is to consult with a real estate attorney or with the realtor who assisted you with the purchase.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2008, 09:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello pissed:

I dunno who you're mad at or why. The old owner was in forclosure. You bought the house. Now the house is NOT in forclosure. You own it. What's the problem?

excon
    Foreclosure is not her issue, it is the judgment on the property that she is in a pickle over.

As far as I know, that title won't be able to be transferred until the Judgment is paid.

If she did not have an attorney, she has a real mess to deal with.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 19, 2008, 09:47 AM
    If you bought the property before there was a lien put on the home, they can not put one one the home. If they filed a lien prior to the sell, but they can not file a lien to foreclosue after it is sold.

But you need to get your real estate attorney invovled. And of course this is why you buy title insurance which would have to pay to clear the title.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2008, 10:14 AM
    Just curious: when did you purchase the home? You didn't have an attorney, did you? Most buyers don't.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 19, 2008, 10:15 AM
    And as I noted, if there was a title search done, then after you bought it, they can not put a lien, if the seller was not in foreclosure at the time he sold it, there is no notice to be given,
    johnd1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2010, 08:05 AM
    A default judgment is generally issued against the previous owner when the home is foreclosed on and the selling price does not cover the entire amount. The lender can go after the previous owner for the difference. It doesn't happen often and it is something that shouldn't run with the land. It is against the previous owner.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2010, 08:23 AM

Please keep an eye on the dates - this post is over 2 years old.

There are newer threads on this same subject which could be answered.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Seller failure to disclose - buyer has proof [ 4 Answers ]

After we bought the house last November we found several problems with the house and we have proof ( one written, other verbal) that he knew about the following things: - previous termite infestations - his disclosure said there were none. We found the termite letter HE got when he bought the...

What information will my bank disclose to me ? [ 1 Answers ]

My Business Bank Account Was Recently Levied Resulting From Debts That Belong To An Authorized Signer On my Account. I Am Curious What Information They Will Disclose To Me ( Upon Written Request By Myself) In Reference To The IRS Request To Levy Said Account.

How do I report the foreclosure on a seller financed mortgage [ 10 Answers ]

I sold my primary residence to a family member in 2006 and financed the loan. Now in 2007 they decided not to pay for it and 'gave' it back to us. How do figure out my basis and capital gains for 2007. Also now we are going to rent the property until the market comes back and we can sell it. I...

Basement Leak / Seller failed to disclose [ 1 Answers ]

I have owned my home for 11months. The basement has leaked 4x's and the seller failed to disclose any type of basement seepage/problems such as the ones I have (pools of water in my basement coming from the ground). However, the seller did disclose that a trickle of water comes from the rear...

View more questions Search