Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imarunner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2006, 04:45 PM
    Circuit breaker double posting
    Is it ever OK to have a double posting in an electrical/ circuit breaker box? If so. When? Thanks for your help.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2006, 05:40 PM
    Can you restate your question, not sure what you need. Do you mean a double pole circuit breaker? 2 pole CB are generally used for 240 colt circuits like electric ranges, dryer, water heater, (note, not a hot water heater, only kidding).

Beyond this, I am not sure what your question is, please post back and we can go from there, unless someone else knows what you mean.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Feb 12, 2006, 10:50 AM
    Maybe he means double tapping a breaker. 2 wires to a single breaker. The only breaker I've seen to accept double tapping would be Square -D with the type of screw down on the breaker. Don't believe code allows double tapping.
    Right TK?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2006, 11:30 AM
    That is correct, code does not allow for multiple wires to be in any wire connector or terminal, unless the device is rated by UL to accept multiple wires, and is labeled by the manufacturer that the terminal is for multiple wires.

Also correct, Square D is the only brand of circuit breaker that comes to mind that allows for two wires on their QO , QOB, and their HomeLine frame breakers.

That is a good point you brought up that the questioner may had been referring to, since I am not sure what is meant by "double posting", and why I asked for clarification.

The poster must be all set since I did not get any answers to my request.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring Hot Tub and using a 50 Amp Double Pole GFCI Circiut Breaker [ 10 Answers ]

:confused: I keep getting the GFCI breaker tripping after wiring my hot tub. I wired 2 hot Red and Black to the proper terminals and the White to the neutral and the Bare Copper to the ground Post at the tub. I am using 6-3 w/G per instructions. Could the GFCI breaker be bad? When I wire...

Circuit breaker installation [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I'm attempting to do something that I've never tried before, Install a breaker switch. I'm using 12 Gauge wire and a 20 amp breaker switch. I definitely need some guidance in this. Is there anybody out there who can help me?

Circuit breaker [ 3 Answers ]

A circuit breaker connected to the kitchen tripped twice. I had an electrician in but the problem persists - in fact, the very day the electrician came. It does not seem to be caused by any one particular appliance. The first time I was using the waste disposal and the next two times nothing was...

Double breaker? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have recently put in a new 200 amp. Service and had to install a large J-box to extend the wiring to the new location, (not very far). My problem is that I have a new 2-pole 40 amp. Breaker for the "A/C", and a 15 amp. Breaker for the "furnace". My confussion is that either of these breakers...

Circuit Breaker Troubleshooting [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased an old farm with a water well. It was checked last summer with the pump company's pump (I assume they used their pump because there was no power at the property then) and it pumped well (15 gpm). Now I have electricity and tried to power up the pump. The fuses are the old...

View more questions Search