Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2008, 05:43 AM
    Other "Woman" Shadows Chelsea
    I can not help but feel bad for Chelsea, trying so much to help her Mom get elected and has to field questions about the Monica situation.

These are college students, and I understand they are young, and the only thing that I can think of is maybe in their family they eperienced this too, and that's why they ask. But even still, where is the sensitivity?

Pesonally, I think she is doing awesome holding her own, but I also think to ask these questions of her is at a minimum, highly insensitive and borderline cruel. One on one, would not be as bad, bad enough, but not as bad in front of hunderds.

People fail to understand sometimes, that although in the public eye, they still house wounds and feelings.

The Associated Press: 'Other Woman' Shadows Chelsea Clinton
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2008, 07:02 AM
    Why should she be immune ?She is now a 28 year old adult and not a child. She is the one who has put herself out there in the public arena by campaigning for her mother .She is probably being groomed for a future political career . Perhaps she would be more comfortable detailing how she dodged sniper fire in Bosnia.

If she had answered the question directly from the beginning the issue may not have repeat itself. The response she has crafted now seems adequate .It certainly beats blaming the affair on the vast right wing conspiracy.

But she can expect to hear the question in her travels in the campaign because most of these college students have not heard her give the answer before .

Personally I would be asking her about her work at a Hedge fund and ask her if she was involved in leveraging sub prime mortages ; ripping off poor home buyers .
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2008, 07:05 AM
    Tom,

But she is a 28 year old adult, who experienced something very painful. I am not saying they can't ask, but just wondering why?

I know people who volunteer to step into the public eye are open to anything, but this was pain, inflicted on her, not caused by her.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2008, 07:06 AM
    Yes, she has put herself into the public spotlight. I expect a lot of inquisitors would like to ask Hillary similar questions but she knows how (and why) to keep reporters at more than arms length.
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2008, 07:08 AM
    I wouldn't even ask Hillary. I would not speak a word, I would only want to give her a hug.

Pain is pain no matter what job you hold.

The only one who should have to field those questions, would be the 2 who set it into motion.

And I wouldn't even feel the need to bother to ask them.
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2008, 07:15 AM
    I know you have seen how reporters shove the mic into someone's face and ask all kinds of questions, most of which sound kind of stupid. And there is always this one: 'how did you feel when.. ' If Hillary loses the election, retires from the senate, and appears on Larry King, it will be a question in the first segment if she allows it.
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2008, 07:21 AM
    Very true George. Because I guess most want to know? But I am sure her feeling are no different then any other woman who experienced that, well, even worse considering the visiblity.

If I were Hillary and Chelsea, I would answer any questions pertaining to that with,
    "And I'll take the next questions please". I would not even address it and that would be uniformed no matter who asked, where or when.

Just as it's within the right of the asker, those two also have every right to answer as I would have. Yes?
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2008, 07:27 AM
    She could've stopped the questioning right away by giving a response similar to the one she has since crafted or something like this

I was young .But I remember it being a difficult and painful time for my family.

When the question persists she should take the offensive and add that she has been asked the question many times and that she thinks it is an attempt to intimidate her from campaigning for her mom. But it will not work because she thinks her mom being elected to the Presidency is too important for the country . Then she should regurgitate the campaign talking points about the issues. Then conclude that she will not be scared or diverted from delivering that message.. . next ?

What is so hard about it ? Instead the Clinton's tried to put her out there while at the same time protect her . That is why David Schuster ;who I personally think is a slug ,was suspended by MSNBC .;for daring to question the motives of the Clinton's use of their daughter in the campaign.
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2008, 07:30 AM
    That is true Tom, they did put their daughter out there. I never even thought of that.

And yes, I do think you are right with your repsonse and the one that Chelsea made.

She may be 28 but those wounds are probably still fresh and will last a good long time.
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2008, 07:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Allheart

If I were Hillary and Chelsea, I would answer any questions pertaining to that with,
    "And I'll take the next questions please". I would not even address it and that would be uniformed no matter who asked, where or when.

Just as it's within the right of the asker, those two also have every right to answer as I would have. Yes?
    Exactly, and there are many who would respect her wishes. On the other hand, if we follow the story over time, we develop a sense of her personal growth and maturity, which is a nice thing. I thought she was graceful in answering that she felt her mother would make a better president than her father; not that I agree with her, but that she is willing to share herself in that manner. It makes her a more interesting person, in my view, rather than a puppet of her family's ambition.
    You, Allheart, are kind and perceptive, but these folks are in 'the show' for the prize, you know?
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2008, 07:43 AM
    I do understand what you saying as well George, to address it gracefully, would bring in a more human side, something that we all could relate to.

I think it would be harder for Chelsea for some reason.

Thanks guys :) Helped me to see different sides that do make great sense.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Apr 9, 2008, 08:06 AM
    I agree with Chelsea on this one.

It is a private matter that happened a half a lifetime away for most of these college kids.

Anyone who has been on the receiving or giving end of adultery; or an innocent bystander, like Chelsea; knows how damaging it is. And it would be cruel, as Allheart states, to keep bringing it up. These kids, to me a least, can look it up or ask Hillary or Bill Clinton directly.

As to a reply... and I would not vote for Hillary or Obama for that matter... in the best light... it shows that Hilary is committed to her marriage, is forgiving of Bill's imperfections and shows strength of charater to persevere and succeed despite such trying circumstances.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2008, 09:25 AM
    Hello:

If Bills infidelity is an issue to be discussed, why wouldn't Cindy McCain's drug addiction? Ohhh, you didn't know she was a loadie?? You should look into your candidates a little better.

excon
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2008, 09:40 AM
    I'm sure the issue will be brought up... I think it just was. Cindy McCain however was not a public elected official at the time or ever (let alone POTUS ) ;nor was she disbarred for lying about it.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Apr 9, 2008, 12:22 PM
    Chelsea learned a lesson the hard way the other day when being asked about her father's affair and if the past compromises the mother's bid for the White House. If you're going to be in the national spotlight than expect on the campaign trail to answer some of the most private issues, especially considering the Clinton's history. They made campaign shenanigans a ritual in the nineties and currently. Chelsae could had turned an awkward moment into a great opportunity. Anyway I'm most impressed with her in that she says she has no aspiration to be a career politician. Now if only the next Bush generation would do the same and follow that lead. :)
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2008, 06:57 PM
    We all know how damaging adultry is to families. Why does one feel the need to ask? Do they expect a different answer to the last time they dealt with it? It is to incite and incite alone. Sure private issues will be brought up during an election campaign but asking the obvious reflects worse on the asker than the answerer in my opinion!
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Apr 9, 2008, 07:18 PM
    Skell, good point. Stranger yet the question was asked by a Hillary Clinton supporter. Usually these are pranks by mischief makers, but in this case the college student asking was sincere. Instead of worrying if Bill's zipper still has some zip and it's residual effect, which had already been a public issue via Ken Starr investigations a decade ago, I think there are more pressing questions that needed to be answered. Like how much longer we plan on pumping nine billion dollars plus a month into an Iraqi war, or what the candidate is doing to take on the task of improving our economy?
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2008, 11:36 PM
    Skell so very true. I've always believed it, but I still cringe for Chelsea. Two things I worry how I would have responded, one in her shoes, and the other if I was in the crowd
    While that question was asked. I would have felt terrible for her.

I do know that when you enter the spot lite everything is exposed, I don't agree that is right, but sadly, that is the way it is. Look at poor Britney.

28 may be young adult hood, but those childhood pains remain.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2008, 02:42 PM
    I don't feel sorry for her!
    When she called her secret service 'pigs' and they said they were going to tell mommy and daddy she told them to go right ahead what do you think THEY call you!

Odd thing is they sensor the questions first so that they do not get hard issues so wonder how the ? Slipped through!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Song from Life Ep05 "Fallen Woman" + Felicity S04E08 [ 3 Answers ]

Can any kind soul confirm the name of the song played in the closing montage of the TV series Life Ep05 which aired 24 Oct 2007? I know tv.com says the song is Donna De Lory "In The Sun" - but that is not what we heard in Australia. The song played had the following lyrics: ... I don't know how...

80s film? Woman receives delivery of a "boy" in a can [ 2 Answers ]

My sister and I both remember this, so it must be real. It was a movie (maybe made for TV) from the 80s where a "boy" is delivered (from a factory?) in a large can to a single woman. She then tries "mothering" him despite the fact that she has no experience. The only detail we both seem to...

"what's the big deal?" about using the words "pimped out" in reference to Chelsea? [ 11 Answers ]

Some people don’t seem to think it is a big deal. Clinton Calls Shuster Comment Part of 'Troubling Pattern' | The Trail | washingtonpost.com

Anyone ever done it the "right way" with a married man/woman? [ 7 Answers ]

Recently, I became attracted to a man who was in turn attracted to me... albeit, quite unexpected on both our parts because neither of us was looking for another. I'm about 6 months out of a relationship (not married, was but that was over 5 yrs ago for me) and was really just looking for a...

Searching for a song "shadows on the wall". [ 1 Answers ]

I want to trace a song I heard in 1977 sung by a female artist I can remember the line "Shadows on the wall" which was a recurring refrain.

View more questions Search